Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Odell's Mountain Standard Double Blak IPA...Uck.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had one yesterday and loved it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
etrain666
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

To each his own, and maybe you got a stinker, but IMHO Mountain Standard is one of the best new beers brewed in CO. Especially great on tap. I have seen it place #1 and #2 in local Colorado "best beers" articles.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
Metallion66
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i absolutely loved the mountain standard this year. we can't get it in iowa, but i picked up a few 4 packs in omaha when i was there and, in my opinion, this is one of the best black ipa's out there.
I concur about it being one of the best ones. Last time I had it was maybe back in November, but it was damn tasty!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #24
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
How old was the bottle? Their 'drink by date' is 4 months from when they bottled it. I'm not here to slam your opinion, but Myrcenary is a world-class IIPA, so I find it odd that you really didn't like it.
I don't think it was old (not at home now, can't check the date). Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I think it just has to much caramel malt for my taste. In fairness, I'm not usually a fan of huge beers. I really haven't liked any of their beers - I've tried Levity Ale (not offensive, just lacking flavor), and another of their beers that escapes me. Taste is subjective - there are a number of really popular beers that I don't care for, and a couple that people like to bash (like SA Lat 48, for example) that I like.
If I were half the home brewer I should be, it wouldn't be an issue - I'd always have a bottle of my own IPA to crack.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Ulixes
Recipes 

I saw your username had MU, then looked at where you're from; cheers for Columbia, I live off Providence. Either way, it's a shame about the beer; I enjoyed it, so much so that I'm looking for a clone recipe.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
MADos_HATTERandi
Recipes 

Default A year old beer is no beer to judge

[QUOTE=curlyfat;2798690]So I stumbled upon this brew at the store tonight. Having never seen it before, I assumed it was a new offering.

As I tasted it, I was very disappointed. It has that "used to be good" flavor. I perceive it as oxidization, but my palate sucks, so take that with a grain-of-salt. After digging around the net, it looks like it looks like it was a one-time release over a year ago!

To begin, Odell is one of the best breweries in Colorado, if not the best (I do love SKA, as well as many others!). Hands down, it is the best brewery in Fort Collins, followed by Equinox Brewery (I don't believe you can get their beer outside of Fort Collins). My palate is specific to IPAs and Mountain Standard is by far, in my opinion, the best black IPA I have tried and I have tried a large number of them (Pitch Black IPA from Widmer Bros is another one I like that I tried recently).

Odell's beers do not have a very long shelf life and their reps are supposed to keep close eyes on their beer in the stores. They do not pasteurize which is why there are a limited amount of states that carry their beers, mainly due to beer laws and pasteurizing laws in each state. So, the fact that you had the beer a year after its release is the problem! I see you live in wyoming, so jump on I25 and head down here to Fort Collins and grab it from the tap room. Hell, make a day out of it and go to a handful of Fort Collins breweries. But to stick with the topic, come try a FRESH Mountain Standard and lets see if your judgment changes!

CHEERS!!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
I'm not here to slam your opinion, but Myrcenary is a world-class IIPA, so I find it odd that you really didn't like it.
Many people really like coconut; I abhor it. Just one of those thangs...

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Many people really like coconut; I abhor it. Just one of those thangs...
True, but coconut is a unique flavor with a unique texture.

It sounds like he enjoys IPAs. Myrcenary is a world class IPA. See what I'm getting at? That would be like loving coconuts, but hating say, Madagascar coconuts, even if Madagascar coconuts were deemed the best on earth.

I'll stand behind the fact he probably got an old bottle. Commercial IPAs and IIPAs don't fare well when kept on a store shelf. 3-4 months later it's a couple different beer. 6 months later it isn't even a shell of it's former self. Oxidation takes over and forms those fake-caramel flavors I associate with an old IPA.

I'm not saying he's wrong, everyone's palate is there own, I'm just saying, there's a good change he was drinking an old bottle.

Quick Reply