Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Odell IPA tasting notes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
HopsPlease
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Odell IPA tasting notes

Odell IPA is easily my favorite beer on a day to day basis. I have noticed that sometimes it tastes sofa-king good and sometimes it just tastes good. I am always trying to come up with justifications on why the odell ipa at "this" bar doesn't taste as good as the same beer at "that" bar. With the bottles, there is a little variance but it is usually related to the beer bottle date. Anyways, tonight I got an Odell Ipa at a local bar and it tasted oh sofa king good. I instantly noticed though that it had an extremely cloudy look..... almost like an unfiltered wheat beer. I have tasted the odell ipa tasting like this before but i have never noticed it being so cloudy. It is usually pretty clear. I asked the bartender about it and she said it is a new keg. What am i noticing here? I love this beer and want to "duplicate" it so I am just trying to become familiar with its variances and what makes it "optimal".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I prefer myrcenary...their normal IPA is too floral for my tastes.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
HopsPlease
Recipes 

Right on.... I love mercenary too and I also feel like sometime the mercenary is excellent and sometimes its lacking a little. I wonder what makes this variance? I am much more familiar with the IPA though having drank god knows how many of them.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
HopsPlease
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I prefer myrcenary...their normal IPA is too floral for my tastes.
I love the mercenary as well! I wonder what makes the ipa so much more floral than the Myrcenary? I can also tell differences in one myrcenary from another. I am not as familiar with it though.

The main reason I started this thread last night was because of my passion for odell ipa and my desire to make a beer similar to it. Last night I was served two odell ipa's draft and they both came out looking light colored and creamy where you couldn't see through it at all. What did they do special to this batch? It tasted amazing

Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First of all, I just had my first Odell's IPA at a local restaurant called RockWoods last night, so timely post. I really dug this beer. It's solidly in my top 5 IPA's that I've tried (maybe 12-15 total). Not the hoppiest, but one of the brightest.

When it's "Sofa King Good", are the hop aromas and flavors brighter? Obviously can't answer your Odells question as my sample size is 1. But I have noticed on some of my own APA's/IPA's that the hop flavor/aroma is strongest right when I tap a keg (Captain Obvious). Over time this fades and the yeast falls out completely making for a very clear beer. If I disturb the keg at all, not only does some of the yeast get kicked up, but it seems like some of the hop flavor/aroma returns as well. I might be imagining that, but I don't think so.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Empty
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale, 2H IPA

Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I don't think Odell is doing anything different, you're just getting fresh beer.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sprockets Sticke Alt
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
Mellow Gold Blond Ale
Gerta Hefeweizen
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
I, ME, MINE English IPA
Nelson Brett Saison

Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
HopKeller
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wish they'd start distributing here in the SE, it's one of my absolute faves!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
HopsPlease
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy View Post
I don't think Odell is doing anything different, you're just getting fresh beer.
Maybe so but I have been drinking it religiously for a year now and have never noticed it look so creamy and impossible to see through. I am drinking one right now from bottle and I can see right through it

Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
HopsPlease
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
First of all, I just had my first Odell's IPA at a local restaurant called RockWoods last night, so timely post. I really dug this beer. It's solidly in my top 5 IPA's that I've tried (maybe 12-15 total). Not the hoppiest, but one of the brightest.

When it's "Sofa King Good", are the hop aromas and flavors brighter? Obviously can't answer your Odells question as my sample size is 1. But I have noticed on some of my own APA's/IPA's that the hop flavor/aroma is strongest right when I tap a keg (Captain Obvious). Over time this fades and the yeast falls out completely making for a very clear beer. If I disturb the keg at all, not only does some of the yeast get kicked up, but it seems like some of the hop flavor/aroma returns as well. I might be imagining that, but I don't think so.
First of all, I am glad you got to try it. It is in my top 5 favorites that i've tried also ( i have tried over a hundred easily). And I think you may be onto something there.... i wish it tasted like that till the end of the keg

Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
HopsPlease
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopKeller View Post
Wish they'd start distributing here in the SE, it's one of my absolute faves!
I hear ya there! I am from TN so whenever I go home for visits I am always missing it. I remember last time I went home though, I found an IPA called Caldera IPA that is distributed around the SE.... pretty dank

Quick Reply