*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Objectionable Reactions to Homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
jwalk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Objectionable Reactions to Homebrewing

I just saw a Buffalo Wilds Wings commercial that took a real shot at homebrewing, and homebrewers in general. I'll post it if I can find it. Not that it's a big deal, but it got me thinking. What's been the most objectionable reaction that you've experienced after telling people that you brew your own beer? Have you ever had anyone refuse to try some?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That commercial is completely a joke, and nothing more. A playful jab, if you will. It was over the top and that was obvious to anyone.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

azscoob Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

There were a few threads discussing the BWW commercial.

As far as objections, I haven't had anyone not want to try it. I have had people not like my beer. I brewed a Kolsch once and it wasn't fantastic and a few buddies had a pint and said it was good but they preferred hoppier beers.

My one brother in law is staying at my house for a wedding this weekend and he didn't like my Coffee Stout or my Centennial/2 row SMaSH beer. But other people really liked those two. I haven't had any flat out rejections but most of my In Laws drink BMC so I'm not offended.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
suicider
Recipes 

my wife refuses to try anything i made in the basement. not so much an anti-homebrew thing as she is just kinda snobby about food. looking at the bucket my porter is blowing off into i can't say she is completely without merit, but it smells goooood! she's a bmc girl if she drinks at all so...

Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
suicider
Recipes 

...i did let her try an old rasputin i was drinking once just to see her reaction...it was priceless.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
robertus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

To be fair, a friend of mine dresses exactly like that when he brews. Personally, I think it's a hoot :-).

Haven't had anyone not try my beers, have had some mixed reactions, etc. The wife, who is paranoid about food safety, hasn't cared for the beers, but less because of the "I have a bucket in the basement" thing and more because of the "not my style" thing. With any luck, the Mocktoberfest (bottle conditioning) and California Common (in the primary) will strike her fancy.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
That commercial is completely a joke, and nothing more. A playful jab, if you will. It was over the top and that was obvious to anyone.
I agree that it was harmless, but the commercial resonated with similar reactions that I have seen when my friends and I talk homebrew at work.

I probably wouldn't have thought much about it either if it wasn't for an article I read in a cottage magazine promoting guests to bring wine to dinner when they are invited. The author had a point that, yeah of course you should bring the wine, but he also made a particular point of noting that you should never bring homemade wine (or a brew on premise wine either) because its never any good, and that if your hosts ever complement your wine making abilities they are really just trying to be nice.

I'm not a "letter to the editor" kind of guy, but I've had plenty of crap wines that have been bought at a store too. So that, coupled with the commercial, got me thinking what other people have thought about homebrew out there.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

No one's had an objectionable reaction.

My stepmom. She doesn't drink. But she's been supportive of my brewing. She asks if I'm still brewing whenever I talk to her.

My dad, one of my grandfathers and a few friends refused to try it. But they're bmc drinkers.

My grandma on the other hand is really interested in my brewing she always asks to try some. She even drinks craft beer and saves me the bottles!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a neighbour who is an hardcore Labatt drinker and overall curmudgeon. He really disliked the cream ale I gave to him. He said it tasted "off". A few weeks later, I gave him a Labatt in a glass after he had finished mowing his lawn and told him it was a new brew of mine. He said it was even worse than the first. He didn't even finish it.

I didn't have the nerve to go get the bottle, but to some people, anything you make yourself is bound to suck. The contrary is also true, so I always try to have people taste my stuff blind against one or two commercial options if I want an honest opinion.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Is that Zach Galifinakus (sp?)?

I wasn't offended at all, seemss they were taking a jab at homebrewers who subject their friends to horrible brewing experiments more than anything else.

but then I have a pretty good sense of humor and don't take myself all that seriously especially since at least a few of us have known "that guy" at some point or another.

Quick Reply