Oatmeal Stout Bottle bombs Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
The longer my Oatmeal Stouts sit the more cabonated they are getting and i dont know why. And what to do.

Oatmeal Stout (All Grain) out of Brewing Classic styles. FG/OG right on.
Sat in the fermenter for 4 weeks.
Primed with corn sugar based on the NB calculator. (1/2cup 5.5g batch)
I don't drink these real quick. so...
Bottle conditioned 4 weeks. Low carbonation
Bottle conditioned 8 weeks, perfect carbonation.
Bottle conditioned 12 weeks, overly carbonated, upon opening head coming out of the bottle.

The bottles sat at 70degF for 4 weeks then were moved to a basement closet which is 60F. I move a 6 pack at a time to the fridge and wait a week before drinking one.

I made this same beer 2 years ago (partial Mash) and the same thing happened.

I have 12-13 cases of other beer styles sitting in bottles that this dosen't happen to.

Any help or insight would be great!

you can let a little co2 out. very carefully open the bottle until you hear the hiss of co2 escaping, then use your bench/wing capper to close it back up. the longer you leave the cap cracked, the more c02 will come out, you may have to play with your duration a bit to get your desired result.

there was a pretty good write up about this somewhere, but i cant seem to find it ATM.

FG/OG was right on? Did you take hydrometer readings to determine FG was reached or did you use an estimated range?
If FG was determined by successive hydrometers readings being stable you may have picked up an infection.

FG/OG was right on? Did you take hydrometer readings to determine FG was reached or did you use an estimated range?
If FG was determined by successive hydrometers readings being stable you may have picked up an infection.

I took a series of hydrometer readings to confirm the FG.

It may be infected as you say. However, I can't taste anything (yet).

I'm going to relieve some of the CO2 as the previous post indicated. (Great Idea BTW)

And let the remaining 40+ plus bottles sit for a couple of months. If it is infected i'm going to have an awesome Sour Oatmeal stout. :rockin:

Keep the bottles in a protected area in case they would start blowing. Handle each one more carefully as time goes on. Wear gloves and eye protection until you can determine they have stabilized at a point less then blowing.

I do the priming sugar in boiled water, added to the bottling bucket then racked over it. But it's certainly possible.
Maybe the bottom of the bottling bucket has too much sugar. Next time I'll stir gently with a sanitized long spoon.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had this problem with the last few batches i brewed . I came to the conclusion that it got infected with some spores or mold of some kind . I had to open up one batch and let it bleed off carbonation for a few hours as the bottles would have blown up soon . I recapped them and they were fine .
this last batch I used a bottle brush on a drill and star san to clean them . So far so good .
I used a baby bottle brush with the foam fingers . tore some off and put them in the end of my bottle brush and bent it over . this worked well for getting the bottom of the bottle .

Latest posts

Back