Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oak and vanilla bean delima!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Oak and vanilla bean delima!

So I brewed up an attempted clone batch of Kentucky bourbon barrel ale about two and a half weeks ago..... It finished fermenting in about 7 days so I racked it on top of 1 oz of med roasted French oak chips and two vanilla beans that had been soaking in bourbon for the duration of primary. I didn't dump in the bourbon with the chips and beans because I could really smell the strong presence of the oak in the whiskey. It has been in secondary now for 10 days, and I am not sure how long I should leave it on the oak... I was originally going to do a 21 day secondary but I am getting nervous about over oaking this beer. My wife and I leave for vacation next Thursday and I was considering cutting my secondary back to 14 days and bottling this beer on this upcoming monday. What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take a sample. An ounce of oak for 21 days was perfect for my taste buds, yours may vary.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I tools sample at the beginning of this week but that green beer taste kinda covered up everything else.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah, gotcha. My thinking on going oaked for 21 days was that i could always age it down if it got too heavy, but I couldnt put more oak taste back into it if I didnt leave it long enough.

After 5 weeks from brewday, there wasnt much green left in the porter. It was there, but I had to look for it.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Quick Reply