Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oak smoke?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default Oak smoke?

Was re-reading the "Smoked Beers" book that Ray Daniels and Geoff Larson wrote, and they mentioned that one wood that used to be used occassionally in smoking malt was oak. As it happens, I've got a chunk of oak left over from a project that's not really big enough to use on any NEW projects, that I could easily make into chips for smoking - but I have no idea what kind of character oak chips would impart when smoked. Not a wood that you ever hear about anyone using.

Anyone have any idea? Anyone ever use oak chips/chunks for smoking before?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Hmmmm...I've used the Jack Daniels Smoking Chips both in my beers and in food, and never gave it much thought...

I just went a googled them, because I thought they were oak barrels...

Quote:
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey Wood Smoking Chips are made from 100% Jack Daniel's oak aging barrels. Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey is aged in charred white oak barrels. During the aging process, the whiskey is drawn in and out of the wood giving it its distinctive color and flavor. A portion of whiskey remains in the wood after the barrels are emptied. Some of these barrels are made into Jack Daniel's Wood Smoking Chips. These smoking chips will add the distinctive flavor of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey to all your grilled foods! Use in charcoal, gas grills or smokers.
I can't really describe the flavor...It's like the above says, "distinctive" it's a cleanier, "woodier" flavor than mesquite or Hickory....

This is a good description of it from a What woods can I use to smoke with Faq.

Quote:
It has a medium smoky flavor that is stronger than apple and cherry, but lighter than hickory. As a result, it mixes well with these three woods, but also works great by itself. It has a dense, tight grain and a color ranging from almost white to yellow to red.
The jack chips do impart a lightly sweet bourbon flavor to whatever I use them on/in.

Hope this helps...think clean smoke without the noticeable "tang" that comes from hickory or mesquite.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I smokes some pale malt with river oak (similar to a live oak). That is probably not the same oak as you, but it had a nice "woody" flavor.

I think just about any non-tropical hardwood (maple, ash, walnut, pecan, oak, etc.) would produce a reasonably good flavor. I would avoid the tropical one's such as mahogany which have a higher oil content and the "soft" hardwoods like poplar and basswood.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Irie5447
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I smoke quite a bit of food in my smoker and actually quite a few people use oak. Not as popular as hickory, apple, or mesquite. I have used it many times and it is a more mild smoke. Its in between apple and hickory, apple being mild and hickory being strong smoke flavor. The amount of smokiness also depends on how much wood you use. I have also seen old wine barrel chunks they sell which I believe is oak.

Quick Reply