I brewed JZ's American Barleywine 4 weeks ago and just racked it to secondary tonight. It is already very good even though it is young, but it just seems like something is missing so I was trying to decide among if I should just leave it or try to add something to it closer to bottling time. . .my options as I see them are to dryhop, oak or do both. . .any thoughts on those options or others I am not thinking of?? Below is the recipe.
86.3 22.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain
3.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian
3.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America
1.0 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian
1.0 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Pale Great Britain
3.9 1.00 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic
2.00 oz. Magnum 60 min
1.00 oz. Chinook 0 min
1.50 oz. Centennial 0 min
1.50 oz. Amarillo Gold 0 min
White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 24.50
Water Qts: 31.85 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.96 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 Before Additional Infusions
Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 149 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 10 Min
Sparge: 170 60 Min
Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
Location: Christiansted, St Croix, USVI, US Virgin Islands
Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts Likes Given: 36
Leave it in the secondary until the flavors meld more. The exact amount of time is up to you, of course. I only say this because if you add stuff to it, you can't really take it out. But if you wait, you may find it needs nothing else.
good advice. . .my original plan was to leave it in the secondary until around September. . . but after tasting it tonight I really don't think it needs to sit that long.. . I may let it secondary until June and that is just because I have several other batches planned that are going to need to be bottled. Perhaps I should revisit it around May and see how it has progressed.