Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > And now I am ashamed...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #21
dougjones31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just distill any bad beer. 5% of 5 gallons is 1 quart of 190 proof. Any bad taste is left behind.

I usually make rum out of the result. The rum spices cover anything that makes it through distillation.

Never waste alcohol!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #22
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I've got one that I'm seriously considering dumping. I'm going to give it another couple weeks to see if it improves, but I don't have much hope for it. I know I put a bunch of work into it, but I refuse to choke down something that I don't like.

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I've got one that I'm seriously considering dumping. I'm going to give it another couple weeks to see if it improves, but I don't have much hope for it. I know I put a bunch of work into it, but I refuse to choke down something that I don't like.

Isn't it always the ones you put alot of time and effort into?

I've got a punkin brown in secondary right now, and I swear it has a chemically smell to it. Nobody else that has smelled or tasted it can recognize it, but I can. So I've left it sitting in secondary for an extra month+, even added KC finings.

My problem is, I won't know if it's truly bad until it has some bottle conditioning time. I don't do kegging. Which means that it's not as simple as just kegging a batch and dumping it if it sucks. I'll have to go through the entire bottling process, plus a couple weeks past that of conditioning, just to find out it it's any good. Ugh. Not looking forward to that.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #24
rdwj

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
...Which means that it's not as simple as just kegging a batch and dumping it if it sucks. I'll have to go through the entire bottling process, plus a couple weeks past that of conditioning, just to find out it it's any good.
That would make it a bit tougher. Thankfully I keg everything. Dumping bottles would even make the DUMPING hard - lol!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I've heard of others who have had the same issue with that recipe, but that after a LONG period of aging, it was good (like, upwards of a year). Unless you need the keg, I'd stash it in a corner and forget about it until next summer.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #26
rdwj

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I've heard of others who have had the same issue with that recipe, but that after a LONG period of aging, it was good (like, upwards of a year). Unless you need the keg, I'd stash it in a corner and forget about it until next summer.
Thanks for the advice - I actually don't need the keg, but I will eventually need the spot in the fridge. I don't think it has a year, but it probably has a month or so to show improvement.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #27
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
especially when its so much fun to just make some more