Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Note taking question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Mobeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Note taking question

I being a newer brewer I often read on this forum that people will refer to their notes on a particular recipe or brew day. Is there a common template or standardized way of taking notes when brewing, maybe a link or www site that has some good pointers. Now that I'm doing all grain and getting more advanced as the days go on I want to be able to refer to notes in a better approach. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a small brewing notebook. Each batch gets a page, and on that page I'll write down the following info:

-Batch number (this later gets written in sharpie on the bottle cap)
-Date
-Style
-Yeast (strain, a few notes about starter, whether yeast was washed, etc.)
-Ingredients and amounts
-Mash data (grain temp, intended mash temp, strike temp, mash duration, water volumes, preboil volume and gravity)
-Boil duration
-Fermentation temperature
-Original gravity
-Final gravity
-ABV
-Dry hopping dates
-Bottling date
-Anything else I might want to remember later, such as, if problems arose, if I did something differently, or if it was my first time using new equipment.

I make tasting notes on the same page, and write things down like comments on how the beer's taste is developing over time.

I'm sure other people take notes on other things depending on their equipment and setup. It depends on what is most helpful for you!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just print off the recipe from BeerSmith. Usually I just jot down pre-and post boil gravities, and those get added to the efficiency fields. However, if something gets screwed up, I'll type it up in the notes section of the recipe.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Mobeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@ supermoth- thanks ill try to duplicate what you have done, looks like it might wort

@ mongrel- that's what I basically do now and wanted alttitle more direction but thanks

Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeers View Post
@ supermoth- thanks ill try to duplicate what you have done, looks like it might wort
Nice typo!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Ive just been jotting notes on my recipe sheet from Norther Brewer, however when I start all grain, I planned on printing out the recipe from Beer Smith and then writing on them instead. Ive been laminating those recipe sheets after bottling and then putting them in a big binder i have with alot of different sheets of info from yeast starters, to keg pressures to IBU ratings for hops, BJCP ratings for beer styles, etc. I like having a binder with laminated sheets better then just a notepad as i can a bit messy when brewing.

Other then just jotting down notes, I think the next most important thing is keeping them all in the same place where u can easy look back to previous batches and notes in case u want to try something that worked before. Everything will be readily available at your fingertips, u don't have to worry about stepping away from a boiling kettle of wort or an autosiphon or anything like that.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
Ive just been jotting notes on my recipe sheet from Norther Brewer, however when I start all grain, I planned on printing out the recipe from Beer Smith and then writing on them instead. Ive been laminating those recipe sheets after bottling and then putting them in a big binder i have with alot of different sheets of info from yeast starters, to keg pressures to IBU ratings for hops, BJCP ratings for beer styles, etc. I like having a binder with laminated sheets better then just a notepad as i can a bit messy when brewing.

Other then just jotting down notes, I think the next most important thing is keeping them all in the same place where u can easy look back to previous batches and notes in case u want to try something that worked before. Everything will be readily available at your fingertips, u don't have to worry about stepping away from a boiling kettle of wort or an autosiphon or anything like that.
Pretty much word for word what I have and do.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Mobeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@ supermoth- I planned that typo, lol. Not really but now that you pointed it out it works. My fingers are to big for the iPhone.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1945 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I print my brewsheet out from Beersmith, but I've also modified a spreadsheet brew log that has all of that information as well as more places to record gravities, temperatures, times, etc. If I remember to use it, it's basically a written diary of the brewing process for that particular batch. I can't remember whose template I took it from. There are several places online who offer brewing log sheets for download.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I usually have Beersmith open when I brew, I bring the laptop out to the garage with me. Can't wait for the android app, that'll make things a lot easier.

Quick Reply