Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Not to be wasted, but not to be trusted...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Warthogrugby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Not to be wasted, but not to be trusted...

I had my Keezer fail on me a couple of months back while I was traveling to China... I hadn't realized that it had failed for probably a solid month before opening it up and looking at the mayhem. All four of my corny kegs were coated with a good layer of mold. I didn't have the time or money (was in the process of getting married) to take care of the issue, so I said "F*CK IT!" and left it be to when I could get to it.

I just finished up my new keezer, cleaned/wiped/disinfected down, hooked it all up, and poured each of the four beers. Two of them, a Dunkleweissen and a raspberry heff, taste and smell fine. However, my Stout and Irish Red are suspect... The Red only had a few beers left, so I swapped it out anyway, but the Stout is near full. When poured, it didn't have an off taste that I could detect, but there was some unsettling "foam" after the pour. Again, it didn't taste off and I only had about 2 ounces (not enough to give the squirts, I would hope), so I am not sure if it is bad or not or if I should risk drinking/serving it.

Would the mold have an opportunity to gain access to the internals of the Keg? Considering the air locked seal and whatnot I wouldn't think so, but I was curious if anyone had similar experiences like this.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I wouldn't think so either, but you could have introduced something while you were taking everything apart. If you disconnected your liquid out line, and got something on one of the posts I guess it could theoretically infect something if it didn't get fully cleaned. I think it would be a stretch though.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mold requires oxygen. I HIGHLY doubt there was oxygen in the keg.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Warthogrugby
Recipes 

Great, just making sure that my line of thinking wasn't based on the dependency Trying a glass or two tonight to see how I fair in the morning.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Warthogrugby
Recipes 

No debilitating illness this morning, I think it’s good!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How was China? Drink any beers over there?

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

More than likely if you only tasted 2 ounces you got some of the plastic line funk, from the beer line. Usually you don't taste in diluted in a whole glass. It does come out with some weird bubbles at first. Pour out the first few ounces before you pour your pint then check and see if you taste it anymore.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
Warthogrugby
Recipes 

I had cleaned the lines, so it was straight out of the Keg. I had a few pints last night and it seemed okay. This morning agreed.

When In China, I normally drink Tsing Tao. It's really not bad. But then, it is hard to complain when it's about $0.50 a 22 in the store. I did try the Tsing Tao "Stout" this last trip... It was interesting. It tasted like more or less the same beer, at least hops and yeast wise, just with some roasted malt added in for a roasted taste and color.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you moved the kegs you got the crap on the bottom moved around again. Poor the first pint and you should be fine.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthogrugby View Post
I had cleaned the lines, so it was straight out of the Keg. I had a few pints last night and it seemed okay. This morning agreed.

When In China, I normally drink Tsing Tao. It's really not bad. But then, it is hard to complain when it's about $0.50 a 22 in the store. I did try the Tsing Tao "Stout" this last trip... It was interesting. It tasted like more or less the same beer, at least hops and yeast wise, just with some roasted malt added in for a roasted taste and color.
I was in China a few years back. Overall the beer was decent. They learned to brew in the 1800s from the German colonial period in the late 1800s. I had a lot of good local lagers.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Quick Reply