Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Not sure what is happening here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
NYeric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Not sure what is happening here?

I have an Irish ale in the secondary now. I made it once before a while back, and it was awsome. I followed the 1-2-3 rule for the process of primary secondary etc.

The only difference is this time I used WLP0004 instead of the granular that I used before. When I moved it to the secondary after a week and a couple days. It seemed all quiet and tasted good.

I am going into my second week in the primary and for the past few days it has a very light haze on top and there is a lot of residue in the bottom. The haze on top is barely noticable.

What is very noticable is a ring of tiny little fizzy like bubbles all the way around the edge on top of the wort. It also does not appear to be clearing as well as other batches.

Is this still fermenting after almost three weeks? Is there an infection brewing? Should a re-rack to a second secondary and let it sit another couple weeks or just bottle in another few days?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

If you have a hydrometer, check the gravity a couple times over the course of a week or so. If it stays the same, you're ready to bottle. If you don't have a hydrometer, give it some more time in the fermenter just to be safe, and buy a hydrometer for your next batch.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

In my opinion, you probably racked it to secondary a bit too soon. It's still fermenting, but at a more subdued rate. Just let it keep going until it clears.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
NYeric
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
In my opinion, you probably racked it to secondary a bit too soon. It's still fermenting, but at a more subdued rate. Just let it keep going until it clears.

Yea? I was thinking about it and I kept this a little cooler than usual probably an average of 65. So that may have affected the fermentation.

Any good reason to re-rack again to another secondary or is that unnecessary?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

no need to rack again. just let it sit for a while

Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Just let it sit. WLP0004 is probably less flocculate than the dried yeast you are used to. Plus, unless you made a starter, it will take longer to ferment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply