New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Not so discouraged anymore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
quickerNu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Not so discouraged anymore

I haven't been around here much lately. All the typical busy life stuff, work, kids, school. Haven't brewed much either. It hasn't just been that, though. I though I had overcarbonated SEVERAL batches of beer, and hadn't been sampling my brews much either. Seemed every time I poured a drop of beer into my glass, the whole glass would fill up with foam.

Seriously, less than 2 oz of beer would completely fill the glass like spray-in insulation! Beer after beer I tried- same thing. I thought maybe it was something in the glass, so I would quickly rise one before pouring- little help. Then I tried popping the top several minutes before I planned to pour-which is a pain- still no help. This, coupled with my time constraints, pretty much had me not drinking homebrew, which in turn discouraged me from brewing.

Feel kinda silly now. I was rinsing out a glass and had to run off for a second, so I left the glass under running water for a few minutes (Yes I am a terrible water waster). Came back, pored the water out, but left the glass pretty wet, and attempted to pour a bottle of my Edworts Haus Pale. Perfect pour. It sure hit the spot after mowing. I really enjoyed that beer. Must have been a fluke, so after I enjoyed it, I pored another- perfect again. Well, then several more of different batches with the same good result.

I am not sure what it was, but something in my beer glasses had built up and caused my insta-foam beer pours. Even a good rinse and towel dry hadn't helped. I used to hand wash all of my glasses, then I got dishwasher lazy. Didn't have any immediate effects, but maybe something built up over time. I wish I new exactly what had done it, but I guess back to proper thorough hand washing for me, and brewing again- now that I can enjoy the fruits of my labor!

[I'm back!]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've heard of glass washing being an issue killing head, but never creating it.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

How long was it in the bottle the first time you tasted (when it foamed)? How long was that in the fridge? Then, how long was it in the bottle after it pored perfectly? How long was that in the fridge.

Sometimes the C02 needs some time to balance properly. A very good rule of thumb could be 21 days at room temp and a week in the fridge.

Also, if you fear overcarbonation, I HIGHLY suggest weighing priming sugar if you aren't already doing it. That made a huge difference in my beer.

Congrats on the beer! I think everyone remembers the first sip of their "wow, thats it" beer.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Hi and I'm glad you're no longer discouraged!

Like above, though, I've never heard of soap or any other dishwashing film making more head - if someone knows otherwise, I'd welcome the correction!

So, I'm gently wondering if the problem isn't in your carbonation regime, rather than in your glasses. Have you read through this How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming and Bottling

And don't be discouraged! Its handmade, artisanal, its supposed to be unique!

Cheers!

Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

This could be kinda like Mentos and Diet Coke. If your water is really hard, you may not be getting a good rinse and as your glasses air dry in your dishwasher you're getting lots of hard water and other particles dried to the inside of your glasses. That could produce a ton of nucleation sites. If you beer is a little over carbonated and your glasses have lots of nucleation sites, BOOM. Instant foam.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beerkrump- you must have it. We have rock hard water. I have over 50 batches under my belt, and beers that I had enjoyed were doing this overcarb thing all of the sudden. I got lazy and started using the dishwasher (on air dry) and I guess it slowly built up.

[I'm back!]

Last edited by quickerNu; 06-05-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

+1 for build up

Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
ivanavich
Recipes 

WOW didn't know build up could do that either. Well I have an American Wheat kegged and it has been doing the same exact thing. I thought it was overcarbed or something with my lines. I usualy use a specific glass and hand was but ever since I tapped this keg I have used a mug (lost the glass) I'm going to use a fresh plastic cup to see if maybe it is infact buildup.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, beers I never had a problem with- even ones over a year old were doing it all of the sudden.Back to banning the wife from the pint glasses and hand washing them again. I need to post a pic- 1-2 oz of beer making 12-16 oz of pure foam is interesting....espacially with no bottle bombs or geysers upon opening.

[I'm back!]

Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Another thought... if the glasses were really warm and the beer cold, would that cause this? Then when he ran it under cold water for a while it chilled the glass down closer to beer temp? Just a thought if your kitchen is really hot.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply