Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Not a happy customer!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborho View Post
High maintence customer that NB does not need. I never once had an issue with their products or service. I understand your frustration with the unit going on sale shortly after you bought it, but bite the bullet and enjoy your burner. I think the post needs to be deleted.
Why would you suggest deleting the thread? Just because someone posted something about a company you like? Heaven Forbid!!

There are companies who would have sent him the gift card, so he has a point. I don't know that I would have expected the card, nor been upset if I didn't get it, but would $20.00 really have caused NB a financial hardship? I give the OP props for even trying, frankly, I wouldn't have bothered!

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

If the burner itself went on sale I think you'd have every right to be upset they didn't credit back the $20 being it was only 7 days. Almost every company I order from has price protection for 30 days and that includes sales. But this is a separate gift card. You shouldn't be so upset about it as it's an added bonus, not a direct change to the burners price. Anyhow, congrats on the burner, I have one and love it!!

Rev.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
bombcar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you call and demand shipping refunds when future advertisements offer free shipping?

I can understand asking, but getting angry when they say no says more about you than about NB.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As an owner of many retail stores, customers like the op are not valuable. They are looking to have a policy changed because they are special and are constantly looking for a way to eek a buck out. Rarely worth it.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
I just read 2 pages of posts blasting the OP. What he describes is VERY common. Most retailers will honor and adjust a sales price for retroactive purchases. In fact one online retailer I buy from automatically sends "store credit" adjustments.

Why? Each new customer has a real and measurable cost. In most industries it is actually quite high...$200 - $300. For this reason the most important marketing is done to keep proven/existing customers happy. This is particularly true when the customer is a proven buyer of profitable or high end products.

A $20 credit to keep a customer happy is a wise marketing expense.
Exactly right. I have been in retail and online retail management for 25 years and I am constantly amazed at the short sighted decisions businesses make about customer service. This thread is a great example.

In any business you have to aquire customers. There is a cost associated with that and as previously stated, that cost can be very high. Hundreds of dollars is not uncommon and depending on the business the costs can run into the thousands. You then have to maintain that customer to get a return on your investment. When you lose a customer, that customer has to be replaced and the cycle starts all over again. Any business that would lose a customer for $20 has not taken into account how much they will lose by not taking care of that customer.

Another un-factored cost is an upset customer will tell 10 people and a happy customer rarely tells anyone. In this age of the internet where the business has to compete with businesses all over the world, the last thing you can afford is to have an unhappy customer going online and literally telling thousands of people how unhappy they are. Who knows how many potential customers you can lose.

I can also guarantee you that if NB will not honor it, someone else will, and is more than happy to aquire that customer from NB for $20.

Also if this guy returns his burner and gets a refund and then goes someplace else, (which is what I would do) the business loses the customer plus the profit on the burner, plus if the burner has been opened they will have to reduce the price for an open box item or dump it on another customer. Even more losses. All of this costs alot more than $20.

This thread is a great example of how different customers have different expectations. Many of you have very low expectations and that is exactly what retailers want is customers that are easy to please. In my business the best customers are the ones with high expectation of my business because when I meet or exceed those expectations I have a loyal customer.

On the internet price is king but if you can find a retailer that will compete on price and offer exceptional service, then you have found a great business. We do not have to accept "It is not our policy" from retailers. We have way too many choices on where to spend our money. We should demand better and kudos to the OP for saying so!

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

People Like This 
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
As an owner of many retail stores, customers like the op are not valuable. They are looking to have a policy changed because they are special and are constantly looking for a way to eek a buck out. Rarely worth it.
You mean a customer isn't worth $20 to you? What is that customer's potential worth over 5years, 10 years, 20 years? If you aren't looking at a customers value beyond today you are making a big mistake.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Rev2010 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
bombcar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send me free stuff and you'll have me as a customer until I find some other place to get free stuff.

A customer is only worth $20 if you make $20 off them. If you only make $19, you've lost money if you spent $20 to get them.

And we all know a customer like this will be back the moment they find something at NB for twelve cents less than local retail.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Look, if NB advertised a price adjust policy and they didn't honor it, sure, get mad. But they don't.

Just because Wal-Mart and Target price adjust doesn't mean smaller businesses have to do it too. The holiday season is rife with short term deals like this; they're designed to get people to the site to buy gifts so they'll spend more money on themselves. If NB had to honor sale prices a week before and a week after the sale ended, there'd be no point in running it. There will be more deals before the end of the year, and you're going to miss out because Northern Brewer didn't honor a policy THEY DON'T HAVE?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

It is somewhat common for online retailers and even brick and mortar stores to offer 30-day price matching. Almost everywhere I shop has it. This seems to fall into a grey area, since it's not really a price match. I'd be pissed I missed the deal, but I'd get over it. If the price had dropped, I'd expect a refund, if under 30 days. Question though, does NB offer 30 day, or 14 day price matching?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I certainly understand the feelings of the OP, and have had similar feelings in the past on purchases. There is no harm in asking the vendor if they'll honor the deal even though you missed the window, and if they do then fantastic. If they don't, then bummer. It wouldn't stop me from purchasing from them again if I like what they offer. Most recently I could have save 10% on a $500+ purchase if I had just waited a few weeks, or known to wait a few weeks. I thought "Damn, I could have saved a good $50," but what I did instead was order more sh*t from the same vendor and saved that 10% and felt great about it.

The moral of the story is:
Order another burner, get your $20 gift card, and be happy that you now have two kick-as* burners and $20s in your pocket for your next purchase

Closed Thread

Quick Reply