Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Not a brewing rut...just a lack of will

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Not a brewing rut...just a lack of will

You know when you reach that point where you feel like you have brewed enough beer to be happy and realize that you are happy, but lack the will to brew another batch right away. I feel kinda bad because I have like six kegs full of beer that I am not drinking for some strange reason. Then I have two fermenters that I really really need to bottle or keg because they have been in there for about a month and it is time. Then there are some Lambics that are aging and I can't touch them, so no matter there. Two little whiskey barrels that need filling and I have promised a barleywine to them, though haven't brewed them. And I keep telling myself that I am going to barrel age a beer, and I have to get over to my friends to brew on his equipment to fill and age the barrel. This is torture for me, I really do want to brew but I can't find the will to do it. It is time to kick of the new year and get it going!

To top it all off, I think that the reason I am so pissy about doing it again is that I just brewed with Muni water for the second time and am dreading the results. They haven't tasted good and I now have ten gallons to put into something and choke down. I picked up a water filter since and need to hook it up. It just seems like I need a vehicle to mount my various sundries onto in order to not have to drag them all out every time I want to brew.

All right, enough bitching, I just had to get that out there and now I am finished. Good day to you all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

crystal meth or cocaine.....call me in the morning.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Most homebrewers have slumps. I've been drinking my Ordinary Bitter out of the fermenter, rather than face clearing out the conditioning cabinet and rebuilding a few kegs. It's 8C in the brewery, which isn't conducive to getting any work done, but near ideal for serving an OB.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Ditto. Had to force myself to bottle two batches last weekend, and I have another 7 gal of Apfelwein to bottle but I just don't want to face moving that damn carboy. And it's WAY too cold to brew. I got pneumonia a couple weeks ago and just haven't felt like drinking. At least the pipeline is full.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have apfelwein that needs bottling and I just can't bring myself to put it together. I have the champagne bottles all ready, the yeast, the caps, everything. Just not really digging having to go out and do it. Oh well.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Houblon
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?

Now light the burner and get a brewing

Old 01-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm on the tail end of one of these slumps, the holidays has a lot to do with it. For me anyway. I'm gonna enter some brews in my first competition this year, so that has gotten the juices flowing again. Also gonna brew up a couple of batches for my Brother in-laws wedding. Gives ya something to work towards, and forces you to set some goals.

Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
And it's WAY too cold to brew.
I've been spoiled brewing in the warmth of my apartment kitchen on the gas stove the past few batches ... My 15 gal. pot is big enough to cover 2 burners and get a nice rippin' boil going... I connect my chiller to the sink. I take the washing machine hose off usual water source & connect to my IC output & after I'm done chilling, I do my laundry. During the boil I setup a fan push the humid heat out to warm/humidify my desert dry forced hot air heated living room. How's that for Brew day multi-tasking!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ View Post
I've been spoiled brewing in the warmth of my apartment on the gas stove the past few batches... My 15 gal. pot is big enough to cover 2 burners and get a nice rippin' boil. I connect my IC to the sink w/ hose adapter, disconnect the hose that runs to the washing machine & connect to my IC output & do my laundry. I setup a fan and use the humid heat of the boil to warm/humidify my desert dry forced HA living room. How's that for Brew day multi-tasking!
Wait.... what? speak English!

Or maybe you are. had a home brew (pumpkin porter) and now some Makers Marks... Perhaps I am reading minbari?

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There was a thread a while back asking whether people hit slumps in their brewing where the results were not bad, just kind of boring. At that time I was on major roll producing one great beer after another.

Then I went on a brewing binge and now have seven beers on tap and I am bored with every single one of them. I haven't brewed in a couple months and I even had a starter that I did that hung around around so long that it smelled funky so I threw it out.

I also am drinking almost zero beer. Maybe two pints per week. And often I don't even finish the pints I pull.

I guess you could definitely say that I am in a slump right now. So I feel for you brother.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply