Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Northern Virginia Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
RipUSMC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

They must've changed something at that shop. New manager or something. It's the closest to me and they've always been congenial and helpful. It's a tiny shop, for certain, but they have a good enough stock. It's called "MLHBS," that,s actually the name.

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!" -General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur

Kegged: Prussian Pickelhaube Pilsner, Demoness Hopyard
Bottled: Fruit Lambic, Belgian Lambic
Secondary: None
On Deck: Red Magnum
In the Hole: Spider's Tongue

Web: https://www.facebook.com/GristAvauntours?ref=hl

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 486

MyLHBS is the closest one to me as well as I live by that monstrosity that is the BRAC center they just built up. I have always found Derek's assistant to be a great resource, and when you get by the more... antisocial attitude of Derek. Both have been useful for advice/whatever I need, though the majority of my larger purchases have been from Austin, Midwest, etc. MyLHBS is great for picking up the incidentials that you always need at the last minute and an online order is not feasable, though the hours are wanting. I only have a bout 5 minutes from getting home from work to realize I need hops or yeast to be able to get there in time to purchase on a weekday, and since I tend to like to brew on Sat/Sun, the closed on Sun/Mon is rather inconvenient. Not to mention that I always forget that they are closed. I would appreciate some competition nearby though. As for a brew club... I think i am getting consistant enough to finally feel comfortable joining one. I would like to get my AG equipment together soon though.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
RipUSMC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I must not have run into this other dude at MyLHBS. With you on the hours though, "Normal" business hours would be nice. I have to get all my stuff in the 3 seconds before they close too. What local clubs are there? Haven't really looked into it.

"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!" -General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur

Kegged: Prussian Pickelhaube Pilsner, Demoness Hopyard
Bottled: Fruit Lambic, Belgian Lambic
Secondary: None
On Deck: Red Magnum
In the Hole: Spider's Tongue

Web: https://www.facebook.com/GristAvauntours?ref=hl

Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #24
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1318 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I guess I'm lucky with my work schedule that I'm usually able to pop in there during the work day when they're open, with the added plus that it's not crowded like it can get on weekends. I've never had a problem with either Ryan or Derek there. I hear all these reports about the bad service, but I've never once had a problem. Ever. I've always found them both extraordinarily helpful.

I know there's some BURP folks on here. I finally joined up with DC Homebrewers.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Empty (for now)
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Pale Mild
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Ryan, thats his name. Good guy. I dont have bad things to say about Derek, he just seems to not be as stoked/enthusiastic about homebrewing as he could be.

As for brew clubs, I just heard of the Wort Hog Brew Club http://www.worthogs.com/ from DPBISME.

I think i am going to have to check out a few myself. That or i have to convince my friends to start this wonderful hobby. Maybe now that I have finished my keezer and they start drinking off of it there will be some encouragement to help keep it full.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default local clubs

check out BURP. an awesome group of brewers and beer lovers. Oh yea, the monthly meetings are mini brew fests and food fests all in one.

Sheldon

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
NavyRob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenArise View Post
I don't mind a little drive to a shop, but I'd be overjoyed to see a place that was open until 7 or 8 PM on a weekday or two.
They've added an hour on Wednesday, so it closes at 7 now that day. I know it's not much, but if you're looking to avoid the crush on Saturdays there, it might be an okay option.

I've always been pretty happy with them, though I understand how some might find Derek's directness to be off putting. It's usually just that he's pretty busy in there, especially on Saturdays.

Quick Reply