Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Northern Virginia Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
finley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Northern Virginia Brewing

I'm going to be moving to Northern Virgina in the next couple of weeks (near Centreville), and was wondering what the homebrew world looked like out there? IE homebrew clubs, and what are the local homebrew stores in the area?

Big change for me and the family, coming from Kansas where sprawl is king and land is cheap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
ChickenArise
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think this might have been better in the Intro forum, BUT

We're around. I haven't gotten out of the house to find a club, but I know there's at least one that meets in DC and probably multiple others in NoVA and DC. Homebrews shops could be better. MD has a few that are alright, but far (and even further for you). There's one in 7 corners, but the hours are so bad that I've never been.

The beer selection in this area is hard to beat, too - we get the 'grey market' stuff from DC as well as the huge variety that distributes in VA.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1427 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 606

The falls church/bailey's crossroads/seven corners/whatever you want to call it LHBS has inconvenient hours and it's small with limited selection, but the prices are fair, the selection is impressive for the available space, and the owner Derek has always been really cool and helpful to me (although I've heard other people say otherwise).

I know there's a club that meets in Reston, the Wort Hogs. I've been meaning to swing by and join up, I just never get around to it.

Up Next: Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1427 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 606

And abandon all dreams of anything cheap (not just land) at the door. This area is ridiculously expensive

Up Next: Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
finley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, when I first started seeing prices on rentals it took me back for a few. Luckily, we'll be able to have a decent sized townhouse where I still have room to brew.

Oddly enough, I'm coming from a town where the LHBS has inconvenient hours (whenever they feel like opening shop), and a very limited selection "Sorry, we're all out of 2-row, we might have some in either this, or next friday" but they are really nice, and I spend my money there when I can.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

BURP is a great local brew club with many great folks and monthly meetings around the area. Its mike a beer fest and food fest at these meetings. When you get here, let us know, we can have a smaller local (HBT) group get together to samle each others brews.

Sheldon

Old 07-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Even the LHBS up here are insanely expensive compared to my tiny college town. I havn't joined and clubs up here since I am splitting my time between school and home, but when I am home my neighbor and I either brew or swap brews a lot. I live in Herndon but almost allllll my friends live in centerville (or is it centreville) since our rediculous redistricting put me in high school over your way (with 5 other high schools arguably closer than Westfield is). I am 8 mi. from centerville which takes about 20 minutes normally, or 1-1.5. hours during rush hour

I hate the LHBS in falls church. I wanted to get my dad a coopers kit since that is the closest modern kit to how he brewed 25 years ago. After buying one there for over $25 and a big bottle of star san for $22 I vowed never to go back

There is also a nice little LHBS in Clifton, VA. Prices are a wee bit high but great selection on yeasts, grains and hops. Plus the guy who works there (only ever see the Derek working in there) is awesome to chat with, knows his stuff, and crushes the grains/re-vac-pacs them for you.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

clifton is a nice sleepy small town to drive to and much less of a hassle than the one in falls church.

For anyone interested, BURP has its monthly meeting this saturday in Nokesville. Anyone interested in attending, PM me for the address.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
goirish04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I second the recommendation for the LHBS in Clifton. Its an easy drive from Chantilly/Centreville. Its called Jays Brewing.

Welcome to the area! Enjoy the sticker shock and traffic. Its going to be quite a change from Kansas.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
httr91
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this post is a little dated but I'm trying to get some guys together in Arlington, VA and hopefully it will turn into a more formal club down the line... drop me an email at arlingtonhomebrew@gmail.com or a message here to be kept in the loop

HTTR91

Quick Reply