Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Northern Michigan/UP microbrews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
mudcrickbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Northern Michigan/UP microbrews

This summer, when I go to visit my brother in Mackinaw City, I was thinking about visiting some microbreweries in Northern Lower Mich, and eastern UP. What are some of the places I must go to? I think there was one just off 75 in Gaylord I think it was called Bucks, looked like a brewpub, but never got around to seeing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Might be a little farther north than you're planning on going, but if you make it to Marquette, stop in at the Vierling. I hit that place a few times whenever I'm up there for work. Great beers, great fish dishes, and their french onion soup is awesome.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

The best brewpub I've ever been to is Short's. It's way out of your way in Bellaire. http://www.shortsbrewing.com/

Another great one is in Traverse City (again way out of your way, unless you're coming from the west): http://www.rightbrainbrewery.com/

Otherwise, that's about it. The UP is a vast beer wasteland, as is Northern Michigan.

There IS a great place in Marquette, as SilentAutumn mentioned. The brewer is on this forum actually, and is a very cool guy. But it's about a 3 hour drive from Mackinaw City.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It seems everywhere in the UP pushes Keweenaw Brewing Company beers (even Applebee's and the Holiday Inn in Marquette have them on tap). I've never been to their brew pub, but I've had their beers on tap at a few bars/restaurants. I don't know, their beers just don't do it for me. But hey, to each their own. They're way up in Houghton.

Last edited by SilentAutumn; 03-19-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAutumn View Post
It seems everywhere in the UP pushes Keweenaw Brewing Company beers (even Applebee's and the Holiday Inn in Marquette have them on tap). I've never been to their brew pub, but I've had their beers on tap at a few bars/restaurants. I don't know, their beers just don't do it for me. But hey, to each their own. They're way up in Houghton.
The Keweenaw Brewing Company beers suck. Badly. They have some success (it's a college town) but the beers are all the same, just "colored" differently. They are terrible beers, and not worth the can they are packaged in. I know one of the members of this forum has worked there, and doesn't share my aversion to them, but he definitely understands what I mean!

Almost next door, though, is the Library. They have two beers that are very good. They don't bottle their beers, so you can only get them at the brewpub.

Lower Michigan has some terrific beer- Founder's, Bell's, Short's, Dark Horse, but they tend to not even be distributed up here.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The Keweenaw Brewing Company beers suck. Badly. They have some success (it's a college town) but the beers are all the same, just "colored" differently. They are terrible beers, and not worth the can they are packaged in.
Yup I agree. KBC beer does suck. Their darker beers are better than their light ales, but they are still pretty bad. The tap room is a great atmosphere though.

Quote:
Almost next door, though, is the Library. They have two beers that are very good. They don't bottle their beers, so you can only get them at the brewpub
I've been there but haven't had beer, as I had to drive. They are on my list to go back and check out.

Red Jacket Brewing Company, part of the Michigan House in Calumet, makes great beers. I'm personal friends with the brewmaster there.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
Calumet, makes great beers. I'm personal friends with the brewmaster there.
Yeah, but the last two or three times I've been there, he's been out of beer!

Last fall, we took a ride up there on a Friday, and the whole place was closed for a couple of weeks.

Tim (is that his name? I can't remember) was a heck of a nice guy when I met him, but I think he's got a very small system and the only beer I remember was an oatmeal stout.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
mudcrickbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll have to make some detours and check some of the places out, I really enjoys Bells Third Coast, Two Hearted, and Oberon, but unfortunately are nowhere to be found in NYS(same thing goes for pasties). When I get more advanced in homebrewing, I'll have to clone some Bells stuff. Founders has good stuff, as some friends of mine from Calvin College in Grand Rapids brought some home. There is also some Leinenkugels that I enjoy(specifically Northwoods, Big Eddy, and Red Lager is very rare in NY), that arent available in NY as well, so you can imagine how much beer I bring home each time I visit!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yeah, but the last two or three times I've been there, he's been out of beer!
When they get slammed they get slammed.

Quote:
Last fall, we took a ride up there on a Friday, and the whole place was closed for a couple of weeks.
Their daughter was in a near-fatal accident downstate, so they shut the place down to be with her.

Quote:
Tim (is that his name? I can't remember) was a heck of a nice guy when I met him, but I think he's got a very small system and the only beer I remember was an oatmeal stout.
Yes, Tim and Sue. Brian is the brewmaster. They use a 15 gallon Sabco system. They brew a half barrel at a time and have 3.5 barrel serving vessels. They close on Wednesdays and brew the beer weekly every Wednesday. The cooks brew the beer and the operation is overseen by Brian, the brewmaster.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
brewmadness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I believe there is still a small brewpub/restaurant at Taquamenon state park.

Quick Reply