Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Northern Idaho Shops/Breweries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
bluedragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Northern Idaho Shops/Breweries

Leaving for northern Idaho on Saturday (the 18th), plan on being in Coeur D'Alene, ID on Sunday through Wednesday (or later depending on the mood). Found Coeur D'Alene Brewing Company. Any good brew shops in the area or other breweries? Recommendations gladly accepted.

Thanks
D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
stale

Recipes 

Bluedragon, N. in Hayden Lake there is a little deli called Danens or Daanen's something like that. I just found it about a month ago and they have an imported beer section in the back. Very good selection! It's on Prarie (sp) Ave just about a block east of Government Way. They also have some very good deli sandwich's and just a couple of brew's on tap. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found out how many imports they had from around the world. Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
cheezdog
Recipes 

I stop in at Daanen's from time to time. They do have a nice selection. There is also Pilgrims market on 4th street close to downtown. They are an organics foods store but they have a good selection of beer. If you make it out to Post Falls, you can go to Enoteca (Wine/Beer Shop). They have a pretty good selection as well although their prices seem to be a bit higher than anyone else.

As for breweries, there's Laughing Dog in Sandpoint, about 40 miles north of Coeur d' Alene. You can also go to Lakeside brewing in Coeur d' Alene. It is downtown very near the lake off of Sherman Ave. I haven't been to either brewery in quite some time, however so I can't tell you how the good/bad the beer and food are.

I hope you have fun hanging out with all of us N. Idaho hicks!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There 'used to be' a great one in Spokane... Jim's Homebrew Supply. I don't know if he's still around, but it was great many years ago when I was in Moscow.

Spokane is big enough to support many... any Spokane guys here? I think I remember one or two...

Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

During three years of grad school, I spent every Friday afternoon/evening at the Coeur d'Alene Brewery's Alehouse (their satellite location) down in Moscow. I had a mug hanging from the ceiling with my name on it and everything... I loved that place, and I kept going there all the time because I liked the atmosphere and the company, but I never thought that their beers were that great. In fact, some of them were downright bad. Of their selections, I found their porter and Scottish were the best. Lakeside British Ale is palatable. IPA is lacking bitterness, flavor, aroma. Huckleberry Ale is too sweet. Vanilla bourbon stout is waaaaay too vanilla-y. Etc, etc. All that being said, it's still one of my favorite places in the world!

I think cheezdog is thinking of the Coeur d'Alene Brewery, as it's on Lakeside Ave, a block from Sherman. Anyway, after you've gone to the brewery (because you should... it's a brewery!), cruise down to The Moon Time (it's on Sherman Ave, the main drag). It's an awesome pub. At least a dozen beers on tap, great food. I guarantee you'll love it.

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
cheezdog
Recipes 

Yes, you got me on that one monkey. Like I said, I haven't been down there in years. (And I live in CDA!) I just remembered that they changes names sometime in the last 10 or so years. They changed from TW Fischers to CDA brewing.

Jim's Homebrew does still exist in Spokane. I make it over there every so often. It is the better shop in the area. They have a great selection of beer there, too.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
bluedragon
Recipes 

THanks for the good info. We are planning on taking a side trip to Canada (get our passports stamped), so a stop in Hayden and Sandpoint is possible. We will also be shooting over to Spokane, so I will have to lookup Jims. Again, thanks. Looking forward to this trip for sure!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Bugbeer
Recipes 

Is Jim's worth the drive up from Moscow? Locally all I've got for a LHBS is Tristate (Idaho's most interesting store!). Everything else gets ordered online.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
macabra11
Recipes 

+1 on Laughing Dog in Sandpoint. That place has some killer IPAs - especially the Alpha Dog and Hopzilla Black Dog! GO!

- macabra11
B - double E - double R - U - N

Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbeer View Post
Is Jim's worth the drive up from Moscow? Locally all I've got for a LHBS is Tristate (Idaho's most interesting store!). Everything else gets ordered online.
Jim's is a great LHBS. They've got a great selection of brewing supplies and equipment, along with some quality commercial brews. The folks in there are knowledgeable and helpful.

bluedragon, while your in Spokane swing into Northern Lights for some grub and a couple pints. We've also got Coeur D' Alene brewing Co. in the Steamplant grill. Also, the Viking is a great place to kick back a pint or ten. They don't brew their own but they've got a killer selection of taps. All of these places are in or near downtown and within about ten minutes of each other.

Unfortunately this area is lacking as far as breweries are concerned. You really need to make it over to western Washington and Oregon to find a plethora of Northwest breweries.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Quick Reply