Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Northern Brewer Shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
jkeylard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I added up everything from NB and Austin including shipping and Austin was 13 dollars cheaper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
rjd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks to the OP for this thread and for reminding me to check and re-check terms & prices.

You saved me 10$ today!

RJ

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I placed a large order with NB this morning, and shipping was going to be about $17. Out of curiosity, I decided to see what would happen if I added a 55 lb bag of Maris Otter. The delivery cost increased by all of 5 bucks. Five dollars to have a full sack of grain brought to my door? Yes, please.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts

Yeah, the shipping now is pretty screwy...

I got a $20 gift card not long ago and I can't even get 2 bags of caps shipped for under $20!

Sure, it could work out in someone's favor for large orders, but the ones who want to order just an item or two can't get away without paying $13+ shipping, no matter the size or weight of the item.

I've backed out of placing several small orders with them because I can't get anything shipped for less than $13!!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mmy86 View Post
Yeah, the shipping now is pretty screwy...
Definitely true. After adding the full bag of malt, I deleted a bottle of Star-San from my cart, and the shipping shot up by more than the Star-San itself -- from $22 to $35! I'd rather spend the cash on sanitizer than shipping, so I reverted.

I tend to place large orders every few months, and the new scheme seems to work out pretty well for that. But it seems wrong that you can't get a couple bags of caps shipped for under $20 (more a comment on shipping costs in general than a comment on NB).

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
ackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My orders from Austin have all been ~$20 cheaper on similar orders vs NB. I really liked NB.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #17
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Graintoglasshomebrew is insanely cheap shipping.

NB vs AHS - NB is much faster to process and ship an order. Last time I ordered yeast from them, the pack was maybe 10 days old which is amazing. AHS was 5 days to process an order. NB was one.

Label Peelers has reasonable shipping to me mostly due to proximity. Brewbrothers is okay, about a buck a pound on average for a 10-12 lb order.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I buy two kits a month plus odds and ends. I started out with NB when they had the flate rate. I gave Austin a shot but the cost of the kits was a little more depending on what your buying. So in that respect it evened out to maybe a cople of dollers cheaper. Right now im using Morebeer and couldnt be happer. There kits are on par if not better than the rest. There extract is the best ive used bar none. Cali to NYC free shipping.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts

To follow up my last post,

I called NB today thinking to myself "Surely if I tell them that the online shopping cart is calculating shipping to be $13 for 2 bags of bottle caps, they'll agree that's a little bit much and work out something a bit more reasonable for me."

Wrong... The person I spoke with cut me off mid-sentence and insisted that was the most reasonable shipping rate they could offer for my area (nevermind he didn't take any of my information and had no clue where I was calling from)

I could easily ship them a manilla envelope with paid return shipping for less than what they're asking!

...oh well, no use in beating a dead horse I suppose.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was going to place an order last week with Northern Brewer for some grains, hops, and yeast for a recipe I wanted to do, but when shipping was nearly half the price of the items in the cart, I checked out other places. Austin Homebrew came in a few dollars less on the items and shipping was only 6.99 so I jumped to them. Both places seem to have very fresh ingredients and good prices on their items, but Northern Brewer wanted something like $12.99 for ground shipping for a $31 order where Austin Homebrew came in at $34 shipped for the same exact items. I like NB and all the videos and things they do with their website, and maybe the changes they made are going to pop up among other places like them, but for now anyway I will go somewhere that shipping isn't nearly 1/2 again the cost of the order.

Quick Reply