The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Northern Brewer Shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
ackbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Northern Brewer Shipping

I used to use Northern Brewer quite a bit, until a recent order I made. It was for bulk grains, a few AG kits, a few extract kits, and some odds and ends. Their shipping quote was insanely high. I always liked their kits a lot, and the variety. Why pay full rate shipping when you can order from another vendor that offers el-cheapo flate rate? Are they trying to move away from the mail order/online game?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
drewN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackbrew View Post
I used to use Northern Brewer quite a bit, until a recent order I made. It was for bulk grains, a few AG kits, a few extract kits, and some odds and ends. I always liked their kits a lot, and the variety. Are they trying to move away from the mail order/online game?
What did you find wrong with the whole process this last time you ordered?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They recently said that there flat rate system was only on a few items and it was making order more complex so they got rid of their flat rate system but apparently they lowered prices to accommodate for the increase in shipping. I personally never got the cheap flat rate because my orders always weigh a lot or have many different items in them. It only cost me 20$ for shipping last time and it included a keg, a fermentor, an extract kit, and a few odds and ends so I personally do not feel that their shipping is that excessive.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
BarefootFriar
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've checked several places over the past couple days, and although their prices beat my LHBS going and coming, the LHBS wins once we figure shipping. That's with Northern, Midwest, Austin... The big names, anyway.

ETA: The point being that shipping is high everywhere.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have checked on my last three orders and if you are over $60 MoreBeer seems the cheapest for ingredients.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Once you figure shipping in most are pretty similar. Some have lower cost but higher shipping, some higher cost, but lower shipping. Shop around. Look to see which of the big names are closest to you, that might make a difference. Also look to see if there are some smaller stores with a web store in your state, alot of times they will have the best prices, and cheap shipping.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
jkeylard
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Austin Homebrew supply is 6.99 under $100 or 4.99 over 100. Love them

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Add up the price of each item you want to purchase and add shipping. Do this for several suppliers. I'll bet there isn't much difference. Shipping is expensive and somebody has to pay. Check your LHBS for the same things. Cheaper? Maybe a little but storefronts aren't free either and that has to be factored into the price too. Did you also factor in the fuel and maintenance on your vehicle. Somebody has to pay that too.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Add up the price of each item you want to purchase and add shipping. Do this for several suppliers. I'll bet there isn't much difference. Shipping is expensive and somebody has to pay.
I have done exactly this on my last several orders. You're right; not much more than a few $ difference between the ones I have compared: (NB, Midwest, Austin, MoreBeer, & BrewMasters). In the end I still order from either NB or Midwest...I get the order quicker.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

I sometimes want to order from downstate and always get hung up on shipping. Seems like it should be cheaper.

Then I think about not just the cost of my gas to drive 1.5 hours each way, but the time spent doing it. The shipping doesn't sound that bad after all.

I still prefer to hit the 'local' shop when I'm down that way anyway, but honestly, shipping isn't too bad for someone who doesn't have a very local option to choose from.

Quick Reply