Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > North Country Malt Group to stop selling to homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Tepe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well here in South Jersey we usually do a pallet (42 bags) buy on average once every 5-7 weeks. It dont take our group long to get 2,000#'s of grain ordered.

I hope they will continue to let us do the pallet buys.

All grainer and Home Winemaker
Home of the
Moon River Brewery
and
Delanco Vineyards

http://www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepe View Post
Well here in South Jersey we usually do a pallet (42 bags) buy on average once every 5-7 weeks. It dont take our group long to get 2,000#'s of grain ordered.

I hope they will continue to let us do the pallet buys.
ive emailed with Trish, she said were fine... so im sure you are too.

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
Tepe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great!
Order was just placed and delivery is next thursday

All grainer and Home Winemaker
Home of the
Moon River Brewery
and
Delanco Vineyards

http://www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com/

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
ferman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess we are safe either way since we've ordered 6 bulk buys in the past few months.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #25
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's still not clear to me if they are discontinuing their previous single-customer homebrew supply business (e.g. a single sack of malt shipped by UPS) or if it also includes pallet orders. Frankly, the only distinction would be whether they will sell a pallet of malt to a business vs. end user and even that is hard to differentiate. Just about everyone knows someone with a business tax ID.

Frankly, I don't think they will stop selling full pallets of malt to whomever wants to pay for it.
I think what they are doing is getting rid of the single sack homebrewer orders. They are so busy and have no time or room for handling the single sack orders. Their pallets are flying out of there, and they are having problems keeping up with the volume. The guy is looking for a bigger location. They have already added a couple more workers.

I don't think pallet orders will be effected.
Edit:
I don't think walk-in customers will have any problems either. Just the UPS shipped hombrewer orders

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #26
VictorWI
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBREW View Post
I think what they are doing is getting rid of the single sack homebrewer orders. They are so busy and have no time or room for handling the single sack orders. Their pallets are flying out of there, and they are having problems keeping up with the volume. The guy is looking for a bigger location. They have already added a couple more workers.

I don't think pallet orders will be effected.
Edit:
I don't think walk-in customers will have any problems either. Just the UPS shipped hombrewer orders
I hope the walk-in customers won't have problems. I was just planning a trip down to the Chicago area. Never bought from them before but have plenty of others I know who have.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #27
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorWI View Post
I hope the walk-in customers won't have problems. I was just planning a trip down to the Chicago area. Never bought from them before but have plenty of others I know who have.
Sorry to inform you, but even before this new issue came up they require you to call ahead of time to place your order. They won't give you anything if you just show up at their door and ask to buy grain. Highly suggest you call before going there...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #28
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
Is it really cost effective to buy one sack at a time? My LHBS sells them for $60-65, and so ordering a small amount is about a break even proposition for me. The only time it made sense was when a group of us went in on a pallet.
If you get another group buy going can you let me know?

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #29
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
The key question here is...where is the grain list for us to look at now? So that we know prices and what else they have?

This is obviously for those of us that have bought within 12 months.
Yeah all the link to the price lists on there webpages are no longer any good.
But i was able to find it on there webserver with wild cards in the url.
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/down...2008-04-10.pdf

*edit* for mid county change the N to an M
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/down...2008-04-10.pdf

i would attach a copy but the size restriction are crazy small and the pdf is 2.4mg..

I have only placed large pallet orders (2-3) and I dont see that channle closing,, I think they just want to shuck the 1 and 2 baggers that call and email bugging the piss out of them ,, they prolly dont make but 3 bucks a bag and the clerical labor is nearly the same on a large order VS one bag and then if they call gipping about there tracking number they have lost money on the deal.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #30
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
The arguement about the competition for bulk grain purchases shutting down local supply stores irritates me. If the supply stores want to stay in business, maybe they shouldn't charge $60 for a fricken bag of 2row. That's gouging us consumers if you ask me and is probably why bulk grain buys exist in the first place. At $60 a bag what's the mark up profit to the retail store? 100% or more? That's ridiculous.

I understand marking up smaller quantities though. Besides, what percentage of a LHBS's business is from bags of grain anyways. I'll bet it's low.
No homebrew store can compete when you can purchase it for less than a homebrew store can. No one is gettting rich running a homebrew store. Then the customers don't want to pay for milling the grain. It costs about 25cents per pound to mill the grain. I am sure that you can buy a bag of 2 row for a lot less than $60.

Forrest

Quick Reply