Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > North Country Malt Group to stop selling to homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
babalu87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default North Country Malt Group to stop selling to homebrewers

Thread on Beer Advocate

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2970833

Quote:
We recently acquired Brewcraft and intend to open up other distribution points in the near future.

However, we appreciate the continued business our loyal homebrew customers have given us. With that being said we intend to continue to make our current product line available to our current home brew accounts but we will not be accepting new home brew customers. Homebrew customers who have done business with North Country Malt Supply and Mid Country Malt Supply over the past 12 months can place orders by calling our toll free number (NC: 888-368-5571 - MC: 866-428-1438) or by e-mailing: orders@northcountrymalt.com.

Thank you for your continued support.

Kelly J. Kuehl - Director of Sales
The Country Malt Group

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Wow. I wonder what the logic is........a pallet of malt is a pallet of malt. Guess they just want to be a wholesaler.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I know they have to sort and stack different malts based on orders. The last one we did was quite an assortment. It's probably much easier for them to load full pallets of one kind and ship that way. Regardless, that's sad news....they were great to work with.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Keeping track of all the tax percentages at the POS, doing the paperwork, and paying the tax for it is a real PITA. That alone is worth not selling to the public.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Wow. I wonder what the logic is........a pallet of malt is a pallet of malt. Guess they just want to be a wholesaler.
They bought a homebrew supply company (brewcraft?) and it makes sense for them to change their distribution model.

They have said they will continue to sell to individuals who have purchased from them in the last 12 months.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The logic is that "retail" brew suppliers probably are screaming at them to stop as it kills the profit margins.

In a previous life my main supplier sold equipment and supplies to me at the same time as they were operating a business that directly competed with me. I spent years screaming at them but they were so big they did not care. Eventually they closed down all the competing locations as someone bigger than me must have pressured them.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 913 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's still not clear to me if they are discontinuing their previous single-customer homebrew supply business (e.g. a single sack of malt shipped by UPS) or if it also includes pallet orders. Frankly, the only distinction would be whether they will sell a pallet of malt to a business vs. end user and even that is hard to differentiate. Just about everyone knows someone with a business tax ID.

Frankly, I don't think they will stop selling full pallets of malt to whomever wants to pay for it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's still not clear to me if they are discontinuing their previous single-customer homebrew supply business (e.g. a single sack of malt shipped by UPS) or if it also includes pallet orders. Frankly, the only distinction would be whether they will sell a pallet of malt to a business vs. end user and even that is hard to differentiate. Just about everyone knows someone with a business tax ID.

Frankly, I don't think they will stop selling full pallets of malt to whomever wants to pay for it.
This is my hope as well Bobby but just the fact that they arent accepting "new homebrew customers" is what took me aback.

I guess a few of us that get grain in bulk will have to get ourselves a company name and tax#

Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it really cost effective to buy one sack at a time? My LHBS sells them for $60-65, and so ordering a small amount is about a break even proposition for me. The only time it made sense was when a group of us went in on a pallet.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Most homebrew supply distributors will not sell to anyone other than legit homebrew shops. On top of that they only accept new accounts for shops that meet fairly strict guidelines. The logic is that they only want to sell to shops because selling to the individual kills the profit for the homebrew shops and if the homebrew shops go out of business there goes their customers as they can't rely on homebrew clubs for consistent business.

It just seems that they are adopting the approach that the other distributors have. If you called Crosby & Baker or LD Carlson and asked about ordering a pallet for a homebrew club they would quickly say "no."

Quick Reply