Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Non GMO alternatives to corn sugar for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #31
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OP if you are going to use honey, find a local source. and I mean local. We are importing honey from China and it sometimes has addatives. This usually ends up in finished product (honey buns, honey nut cerreals etc) but some of it ends up in little honey filled bears.

I'm lucky there is a place near me that gets its honey local and you can buy it by the pound. A local orchard would have some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I've got some kombucha second fermenting right now where I used sucanat in a few bottles and malt syrup in a few bottles to see how those taste. I imagine whatever flavors they impart would be similar in alcoholic brew so it will be interesting to see. Honey could work in a second ferment, I'm not sure, the honey 'bite' always seems a bit strong to me unless it is aged a really long time.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #33
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm happy to see this thread moved to a more appropriate forum for the sugar/bottling discussion. Still learning my way around here.

As for honey, I can get that produced with no additives through a couple local sources. Aside from growing my own stuff, I like to get what produce/food I don't have as locally as possible

Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
porcupine73
Recipes 

I found a local honey source also, he's a good guy, he was telling me about the supermarket honey often having colorings, corn syrups, and other tricks done to it to keep it as consistent as possible from batch to batch. He mentioned much of that honey is being funneled through other countries that don't actually produce it after Europe banned honey imports from some areas.

We can always simply start a new thread in the debate section I suppose to discuss GMO vs. non GMO.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
We can always simply start a new thread in the debate section I suppose to discuss GMO vs. non GMO.
There's no debate for me. I was saying I'm fine with moving this thread into a more appropriate place based on the sugar/bottling question asked in the original thread. I'm not interested in hearing what others think about GMOs, but I DO want to know about the differences in flavor imparted by different sugars.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

nm

On Tap (Nitro): Chocolate Palomino - just kicked! ACK
On Tap 1: empty. . .On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: Flawed Garnet (black currant saison)
In Secondary:
In Primary:
Next up: Gold Dust Pale Ale

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #37
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

That's why I mentioned the natural demerara sugar. It has more color & flavor than the organic,lighter variety. It comes from central america & the carribean. And that spiced mecican sugar cone. Brown in color with spices. I think revvy mentioned it before. And then there's always palm sugar...
porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
porcupine73
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyIrishBrew View Post
I'm not interested in hearing what others think about GMOs, but I DO want to know about the differences in flavor imparted by different sugars.
Ah ok I'm with you on the latter part. I avoid GMO's as much as possible. I was looking for organic corn sugar before but I wasn't finding much. I thought I saw some from Bob's Red Mill but now I can't find it.

Oraganic cane sugars I've tried such as Native biodynamic, Florida Crystals, Wholesome Sweeteners and a few others don't really seem to impart much taste, except as noted the Woodstock Farms gives a wonderful buttery toffee taste. I have many others to try like rapunzel, maple syrup, molasses, dark brown etc. though it would be many weeks before I'd know the results.

Quick Reply