New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Non GMO alternatives to corn sugar for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Hasn't virtually all brewing yeast been technically "genetically modified" through selective breeding, to create specific beer-friendly strains? What's the difference?
The same can probably be said for brewing barley, it's very different and has been modified much since it was hundreds of years ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Hasn't virtually all brewing yeast been technically "genetically modified" through selective breeding, to create specific beer-friendly strains? What's the difference?
That may be true but it is not genetically modified in the sense of man or Monsanto messing with the organism's genes/DNA like in is conventionally called GMO. The difference is those yeasts would never had let's say a gene from scorpion venom spliced into them for example (I believe this done with a type of GMO cabbage.)

Principles of Healthy Diets

Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
That may be true but it is not genetically modified in the sense of man or Monsanto messing with the organism's genes/DNA like in is conventionally called GMO. The difference is those yeasts would never had let's say a gene from scorpion venom spliced into them for example (I believe this done with a type of GMO cabbage.)
I confess, my comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. I personally feel the hysteria surrounding GMO foods is based on money and ignorance. I believe "organic" and conventional farmers have a vested financial interested in convincing the public to shun superior GMO products, because they cannot compete with a superior, yet cheaper, product. So they've come up with an effective compaign of fear, coining such creative terms as "Frankenfoods" in order to scare the flock back to their low-yield, high-cost, bug-ridden crops.

The "ignorance" part is based on people not really having a clue what "GMO" really means. It relies on using scary-sounding hyperbole (like your example of splicing a scorpion venom gene into cabbage, the implication being that your cabbage is now poisonous) to mislead people. It's like saying carbon dioxide is poisonous, because it only only differs from carbon monoxide by a single atom. Of course, they're completely different, and it's not nearly so simplistic. Nor is genetics, but that doesn't stop lobby groups and vested interests from preying on peoples' fear and ignorance in an effort to get them to continue to pay more for inferior products, and resist embracing scientific advancement (which could require investing in new equipment, seed strains, or training).

Personally, knowing how many people on this planet go hungry every day, I strongly feel that anything we can do to improve crop yield is worth investigating. To date, not one single person anywhere on the planet has ever been killed, or even made sick, by any GMO food. Yet over 20,000 people will starve to death today. 20,000 real people, every day, starve to death, while people shun GMO foods for no reason other than fear and marketing.

Just my opinion, you are of course entitled to yours.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
The difference is those yeasts would never had let's say a gene from scorpion venom spliced into them for example (I believe this done with a type of GMO cabbage.)
This is what drives me crazy when people start talking about GMOs. The people who have a problem with them don't know what the hell they are talking about. Scorpion venom doesn't have DNA. Scorpions have DNA. And the DNA in a scorpion's venom glands is the same DNA that's in his eyes and @$$hole. Without a basic knowledge of science, genetics, and biology, these people are basing their opinions on bits of what they hear or read from organic hippy organizations who themselves don't base their statements on good science.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 805 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 1820

A reminder:

This is the appropriate forum for asking questions and having discussion about brewing ingredients, including the OP's question about what non-GMO sugars can be used for priming and where he can find them.

This is not the appropriate forum for debate on the merits of GMO foods generally, including bashing the OP for asking the question. That conversation belongs in the Debate Forum. Take it there, please.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
Lavender_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm going to try priming with maple syrup in my next batch. I'd also like to try to stay with from non-gmo products because even if the yeast consumes it like posters are saying, the GMO companies are still getting my $$$.

Northern Brewer has a PDF about alternative sugars ( http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/AdvancedBottleConditioning.pdf ) .

I'm finding it curious that people are getting angry rather than ignoring you. It's an internet phenomenon that is rather ... interesting. People have asked about non-cornsugar bottling alternatives before on here (that's how I found the PDF) and forumites were very helpful. But once you mention "non-GMO"....

XKCD

Primary: Fat Tire Clone

Last edited by Lavender_Pepper; 10-12-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: because i'm stupid and noticed a double-negative when I returned for the pdf link
ElyIrishBrew Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

... removing original text just saw the this is not a debate thread note.

Principles of Healthy Diets

Last edited by porcupine73; 10-05-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: not a debate thread.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the alternatives, everyone.

And, for the record and not to extend an inappropriate debate that was never intended, I am a levelheaded and balanced person who has spent 15 years as a newspaper reporter, editor and photographer (including winning a Pulitzer Prize) investigating all facets of the issues I covered. I have researched GMOs and organic foods deeply, as well as their pesticide/herbicide ramifications, before reaching any conclusions. Meh, no need for anyone to get all heated up over the Interwebs.

I like the idea of honey, one of nature's basic sweeteners. I knew that regular cane or beet sugars were viable options, and have wondered about brown sugar. Do various forms of sugar impart different flavors on the final product (especially brown sugar and honey), or is sugar sugar? That question is one I hoped to have answered in this thread, and if someone else already has answered it, sorry I missed it.

Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

I also use demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) for priming. It's natural,as in non GMO. They haven't modified sugar cane yet. & it has more flavor that the organic,lighter colored variety. It has a wonderful light brown sugar laced with honey flavor.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyIrishBrew View Post
Thanks for the alternatives, everyone.

And, for the record and not to extend an inappropriate debate that was never intended, I am a levelheaded and balanced person who has spent 15 years as a newspaper reporter, editor and photographer (including winning a Pulitzer Prize) investigating all facets of the issues I covered. I have researched GMOs and organic foods deeply, as well as their pesticide/herbicide ramifications, before reaching any conclusions. Meh, no need for anyone to get all heated up over the Interwebs.

I like the idea of honey, one of nature's basic sweeteners. I knew that regular cane or beet sugars were viable options, and have wondered about brown sugar. Do various forms of sugar impart different flavors on the final product (especially brown sugar and honey), or is sugar sugar? That question is one I hoped to have answered in this thread, and if someone else already has answered it, sorry I missed it.

Thanks again.
different sugars will impart different flavors..

Maple syrup primed beers can be delicious for the right style and if you are into that sort of thing.

The short answer is that there are many alternatives...my long answer would need to be in a different forum. So until this thread gets moved, which It may, I'll leave my answer at that.

Quick Reply