Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Non GMO alternatives to corn sugar for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
ElyIrishBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Non GMO alternatives to corn sugar for bottling?

Hey all:

As the title says, that's what I'm looking for. The huge majority of corn and processed products derived from corn in the U.S. come from genetically modified corn, and I'm hoping to find something else. Really don't like GMO.

Any alternatives?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Plain old table sugar, either cane or beet, works just fine for priming. Check out the priming and bottling section in the first chapter of Palmer's www.howtobrew.com for more info and quantities.

Edit: What she said ^

Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 513

That's a good question. Organic corn sugar I couldn't find much of anything of. I've tried Woodstock Farms organic cane sugar, that stuff is interesting. At least in my kombucha second ferments it imparts a buttery, toffee like taste that is amazing and unlike any other cane sugar I've tried.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

GMO corn in the corn sugar? ****! Have you heard that beer has dihydrogen monoxide in it too? That stuff kills thousands of people in the US each year. Maybe don't drink beer, it's too dangerous.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
GMO corn in the corn sugar? ****! Have you heard that beer has dihydrogen monoxide in it too? That stuff kills thousands of people in the US each year. Maybe don't drink beer, it's too dangerous.
The OP isn't telling you or me not to use corn sugar or other GMO foods. His choice, nothing more. No need to bust his chops because he asked a question.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"
porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Well com'n that's a weak response at best; homebrew properly prepared is infinitely more nourishing and beneficial than commercial brew, and the 'throw caution to the wind and don't give a rat's a*# about what's in your homebrew because it contain some other compound that is harmful' is no good. Ok so start sniffing arsenic dust then, who cares right? Your homebrew contains dihydrogen monoxide after all! Dang it took me a while to get that, dihydrogen monoxide, that is pretty clever, I see that in many things.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

There is organic dextrose,may not be easy to find. Ive been reading up on the way dextrose is made and I dont really care for it.It is deemed unhealty in my regimine,its not a good sugar to consume(as most isnt anyway) although it may be different since the yeast do its way with it, as far as like a healthfull benefical drink like kombucha,well you can use regular-white(bleached)processed cane(gmo-beet sugar)-sugar which is one of the worst foods for you ever but that is turned into something life-giving not life stripping,which is an ironic amazing thing. Alough I still only buy raw organic cane sugar to make it and bottle beer. I vote with my dollar and dont try to buy unresposibly farmed,unhealthfull food like stuff. Im not a snob,I just try not to be a fool. And why are health and enviornmentally conscience people referred to as Hippies?
.So, well what good is drinking too much?,but we all arnt perfect,but when I can.. I try.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The small amount used to prime gets totally eaten by the yeast. So there is no sugar left. A corn sugar molecule is the same whether it's organic or not. It makes no difference all the yeast know is that it's sugar. It's a refined product you aren't ingesting gmo corn.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
The small amount used to prime gets totally eaten by the yeast. So there is no sugar left. A corn sugar molecule is the same whether it's organic or not. It makes no difference all the yeast know is that it's sugar. It's a refined product you aren't ingesting gmo corn.
Good Point. If there is accountable health-science to this I would almost really trust that.But maybe with some trustable science-"Opinion" not fact (which there will never be fact). It can go beyond that also like with.. maybe Principle as far as gmo. So has gmo/non gmo sugar been tested on rats?Long term? GMO foods (Over 70% of whats on the shelves by the way) thank Mon$anto for that ,just went straight to testing on live everyday humans without long term studys first.Thanks to lobbyist and generall greed.

Quick Reply