Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > non-craft drinkers complaining about homebrews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #21
Han_Solo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most of my friends drink miller lite almost exclusively. If they want "a good beer" they'll drink Guinness or blue moon or leinenkugels (not that those aren't good, but they never really ventured outside of what they know). I don't mind offering them a beer if they don't have any but it really grinds my gears when they complain that the old Rasputin I offered them "is gross" and can't even say why they think so. While it is tempting to fire back at them I usually shrug it off and tell them it puts hair on their balls and that they should drink it unless they want me to do it for them.

That being said, I have no issues with terrible beer except for icehouse, miller lite and steel reserve. Old style is my go to cheap beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #22
mikeh80
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve03 View Post
After I came back from Iraq, I did not really even want to drink again.
Kinda the opposite for me, here. When I got back from Afghanistan, I was ready for a drink after all that time of them hammering G.O. #1 into our heads. Spent 4 months in SV for AIT back in '07. Don't miss that place one bit. lol

Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #23
turvis
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

I have an idea for friends that say they did like dark beer blind fold them and let them taste it that way they won't know if it is light or dark.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I just tell people which beers I have on hand and if they don't like it they should bring their own beer.

No big deal to me if they want to drink crap. More good beer for me.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
EatBeerSleep
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCreekBeer View Post
In the past week I have been insulted twice.

I was invited to a dinner party with friends I have not seen in years. I asked what can I bring. Answer, bring beer. I ask, what kind of beer does X like. Answer, he likes IPA's. I bring a Growler of IPA.
We arrive.
I ask X if he has a glass I can pour into.
X answers, yea, let me get it out of the freezer.

24 hrs later.
Super Bowl Party.
Host. Bring some home brews!
Me. Ok, I have 2 growlers, will bring my IPA and Brown.
The host loves my IPA (even in a non frozen glass).
I pour him the Brown. He tastes and dumps down the drain.
Apparently he didn't care for that one. Dumped it right in front of me.
I would have drank it.
What testicular fortitude to dump the beer in front of you!
BOTTLEDHarvest Porter, Strawbarian Wheat, chocolate orange stout

Old 11-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #26
ubnserved
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCreekBeer View Post
In the past week I have been insulted twice.

I was invited to a dinner party with friends I have not seen in years. I asked what can I bring. Answer, bring beer. I ask, what kind of beer does X like. Answer, he likes IPA's. I bring a Growler of IPA.
We arrive.
I ask X if he has a glass I can pour into.
X answers, yea, let me get it out of the freezer.

24 hrs later.
Super Bowl Party.
Host. Bring some home brews!
Me. Ok, I have 2 growlers, will bring my IPA and Brown.
The host loves my IPA (even in a non frozen glass).
I pour him the Brown. He tastes and dumps down the drain.
Apparently he didn't care for that one. Dumped it right in front of me.
I would have drank it.
I experienced the same thing with one of mine and my brother who love to drink beer. (Miller lite) Heineken and a few others. This is the same beer that I brewed for Christmas lights lighting 2 yeas ago that ended up getting good reviews from everyone that stopped by. Emptied keg in 2 evenings. Was a Belgian tripel with a 1+% abv kick. Poured half a pint on neighbors tree. I caught him and his excuse was "I'm catching a buzz". Maybe I was being sensitive and he did have to go paint a building his sbwmbo owns.... I still would have drank it...... Same guy will come over an finish off the bigger part of a case on his own in 3 hours or so. I'll have 3-5 he will drink the rest, sometimes leaving 1 or 2 for my fridge. Maybe I am just a whining b!+<#.

"There can't be good living where there is not good drinking. "

Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
Happywanderer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubnserved View Post
I experienced the same thing with one of mine and my brother who love to drink beer. (Miller lite) Heineken and a few others. This is the same beer that I brewed for Christmas lights lighting 2 yeas ago that ended up getting good reviews from everyone that stopped by. Emptied keg in 2 evenings. Was a Belgian tripel with a 1+% abv kick. Poured half a pint on neighbors tree. I caught him and his excuse was "I'm catching a buzz". Maybe I was being sensitive and he did have to go paint a building his sbwmbo owns.... I still would have drank it...... Same guy will come over an finish off the bigger part of a case on his own in 3 hours or so. I'll have 3-5 he will drink the rest, sometimes leaving 1 or 2 for my fridge. Maybe I am just a whining b!+<#.
Someone comes over to my house and drinks half a case of my beer ... they're paying. I don't mind sharing, but HALF A CASE for ONE GUY!?!?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #28
campbellmike
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Everybody has different tastes, just look at the variety of craft beer that's available. Most, if not all, are an acquired taste so it's not surprising that folks who drink light, commercial beers will not initially warm up to beer with flavor. I love Hobgoblin's motto "What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?" With that said, it doesn't excuse rudeness or wasting something. I suggest small tastes for anyone who might not like your brew. It gives them an out if they don't like it and it prevents wasting good beer. I have friends who have started warming up to IPAs but it's literally taken years of little sips along the way.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #29
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe make up your own little flight set; an oar with recess for 4 oz glasses. The let them select which one they want a full glass of.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #30
Peyope
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

^had that happen with an ipa of mine except I was on call so I couldn't finish it and the three people all dumped their pints.

Quick Reply