Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > non-craft drinkers complaining about homebrews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

OP it's probably just their palate. They are used to drinking thin, watery, nearly tasteless beer and that's what they expect. So it's probably not your beer. But to be sure, you can send me a few bottles and I'll tell you for sure...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 25

OP don't worry about it. Just like some people like milk chocolate, some dark chocolate, some white chocolate - some people like complex beers, some just want something cold. If you like your beer that's great. If your friends who like the same style like your beer great.

If you really feel the need to impress your Bud/Heinie friends then brew something specifically for them, I'm sure you can find a recipe for a very non-descript lager on here... if you search hard enough... or just take a good recipe and remove the hops and specialty grains.... maybe.... (boy these had better be some good friends to be worth the effort)

Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
EatBeerSleep
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with you all..I have cut a couple people off because of various complaints. I want constructive criticism to better myself as a brewer. I understand every beer isn't for everybody but it seems the non-craft beer drinker has a small tolerance for good beer.
PS- When i'm out I will drink a bud or what not if there isn't anything available.

BOTTLEDHarvest Porter, Strawbarian Wheat, chocolate orange stout

Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1389 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've determined that my friend just doesn't like beer, even though we've been drinking Bud for twenty years. We recently went to a great beer bar and I recommended a few she might like, lighter lagers and even a fruity beer. She drank them, but didn't like any of them. When I invited her to my super bowl party, she asked if I had any normal beer, or did she have to bring her own. She did bring, and actually hollered "That smells disgusting!" When I poured myself a coffee stout. It's okay with me. Still friends, but I know not to ask her for feedback on my homebrew.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
stikman33
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I served a friend of mine a Stone IPA I had in the after asking him what beer he liked... He didn't know. I started to ask him if he liked lighter/darker stuff, and he said "i don't like dark beer." All I had in homebrew was a nut brown ale and a smoked porter...

He took one sip of the IPA and put the glass down... I told him he didn't have to like it but I didn't have anything else at the time that would really fit his taste. In reality he might have liked the brown ale better, it was a more mild one make with a little brown sugar and not a ton of hops!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #16
EPS
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My first beer i ever brewed a coopers no boil extract kit when i opened a bottle for my brother he said this is good it taste like Natty ice i laughed and said i don't appreciate the compliment haha hes learning to like my most recent brews partial mash and extract kits he doesn't do backflips over them but hes a BMC drinker from the country so he swears by coors but has never wasted a free beer even if he didn't like it all that well its ironic his favorite beer i brewed was my first brew the famous Natty Ice clone

Without beer, life would be a mistake.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #17
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do not cast pearls before swine, grasshopper!
Only serve your homebrew to those who are elevated enough to enjoy it!

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
scubasteve03
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Being a huge bud light fan for many years before awakening my palate to craft/home brew, I can say that for me it was lack of trying. When I went to the store I would try to look for something different, but always ended up leaving with BL. I was "comfortable" with BL and knew it wouldn't do me wrong and i wouldn't waste money on something i didn't like. After I came back from Iraq, I did not really even want to drink again. I hadn't had a drink in over a year and was tired of tasteless beer. Slowly yet surely I would pick up a sixer or a bomber of this or that, until I discovered what I liked. Even during this period, beers I didn't like before became more flavorful. I developed my palate. Don't get me wrong, I will still drink BL at parties and the such.

When I hear folks referring to BL, etc as real beer, I just chalk it up to their lack of experience. They have not discovered anything better than their beloved BMC. My advice to you would be to brew all of the different varieties of beer to find what they like. The only downfall will be that you will be the only one to like it and be stuck with all of that beer...oh wait that's not a downfall at all. It just means more beer for you!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #19
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thank you for your service! Prost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve03 View Post
Being a huge bud light fan for many years before awakening my palate to craft/home brew, I can say that for me it was lack of trying. When I went to the store I would try to look for something different, but always ended up leaving with BL. I was "comfortable" with BL and knew it wouldn't do me wrong and i wouldn't waste money on something i didn't like. After I came back from Iraq, I did not really even want to drink again. I hadn't had a drink in over a year and was tired of tasteless beer. Slowly yet surely I would pick up a sixer or a bomber of this or that, until I discovered what I liked. Even during this period, beers I didn't like before became more flavorful. I developed my palate. Don't get me wrong, I will still drink BL at parties and the such.

When I hear folks referring to BL, etc as real beer, I just chalk it up to their lack of experience. They have not discovered anything better than their beloved BMC. My advice to you would be to brew all of the different varieties of beer to find what they like. The only downfall will be that you will be the only one to like it and be stuck with all of that beer...oh wait that's not a downfall at all. It just means more beer for you!

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #20
CoalCreekBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In the past week I have been insulted twice.

I was invited to a dinner party with friends I have not seen in years. I asked what can I bring. Answer, bring beer. I ask, what kind of beer does X like. Answer, he likes IPA's. I bring a Growler of IPA.
We arrive.
I ask X if he has a glass I can pour into.
X answers, yea, let me get it out of the freezer.

24 hrs later.
Super Bowl Party.
Host. Bring some home brews!
Me. Ok, I have 2 growlers, will bring my IPA and Brown.
The host loves my IPA (even in a non frozen glass).
I pour him the Brown. He tastes and dumps down the drain.
Apparently he didn't care for that one. Dumped it right in front of me.
I would have drank it.

Quick Reply