Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Non carbonated, not "cold" beer style?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Non carbonated, not "cold" beer style?

It's winter, and as much as I like beer, I find myself turning more frequently to wine to drink on these cold nights. So it got me wondering, is there such thing as a non-carbonated style of beer that is high ABV like wine, and meant to be served near room temperature?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nobody? Weird.

Anyway, it begs the question- why must the alcoholic beverage derived from grain necessarily be carbonated and served cold? Why not a barleywine which is served like grape wine?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Barleywines aren't particularly all the carbed to begin with, in fact some have almost no carb to them at all. Nor are they served all that cold, they tend to benefit from being served > 50 degrees, even room temp.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmajon View Post
It's winter, and as much as I like beer, I find myself turning more frequently to wine to drink on these cold nights. So it got me wondering, is there such thing as a non-carbonated style of beer that is high ABV like wine, and meant to be served near room temperature?
There are many styles that are served warm and even hot if you wish like Daleside Moroccan Ale ... just search the styles and you may be drinking beer once again really soon

Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some lambics and other sours can be almost flat, but they aren't typically too high in ABV. Also, they can give you wine-like flavors. That said, they do take some time to condition.

On-Deck: Bacon488's Mild

Primary: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Quad

Kegged: Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Quick Reply