Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Non-Alcoholic homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
addis29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Non-Alcoholic homebrew

My dad loves my homebrew but has recently started taking medication where he can't drink alcohol. Has anyone ever done a non alcoholic homebrew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/non-...ic-beer-33107/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/non-...lic-brew-2967/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/non-...ic-beer-69357/
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
robbmann
Recipes 

Default non alcoholic beer

I wondered if you have found out any more information for brewing non alcoholic beer. The infor I have found in the past few days suggest a high water to malt ratio in conjunction with a good dose of unfermentables(for body) and a low attenuating yeast. After fermentation heat by stove top or oven to 174 degrees F for 30 minutes to burn off alcohol.
I am a bit stumped on bottle conditioning as to how much yeast and surgar use as I believe cooking the beer will kill the yeast in the beer. If you are kegging you can force CO2 and let it condition.

I will be experimenting on a 1 gallon batch of all grain stout this week end.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

To bottle condition after heating, you'll have to add yeast (a cheap dry yeast like Munton's is fine) and prime normally. You will end up under 0.5% ABV and close to 0.25% if you do everything right.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

It is funny I have a few 12 stepper friends. they dont even drink the NA beer because of the small amount of booze in it. they even dont drink anything naturally carbonated.

Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2548 Times on 1801 Posts
Likes Given: 1481

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty73741 View Post
It is funny I have a few 12 stepper friends. they dont even drink the NA beer because of the small amount of booze in it. they even dont drink anything naturally carbonated.
Then they might want to stay away from well-ripened bananas!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

I have never had luck bottle conditioning N/A beer. I've taken an entire packet of nottingham, rehydrated, and mixed in at priming time. Carbonation was spotty at best. I wouldn't recommend it until you can force-carb. That, and when you naturally carb, the priming adds a little bit of alcohol back in, so...if it's a zero-tolerance thing, it's not ideal. I have a batch of boston ale on tap for the pregnant wife right now, she loves it. The key was a post-dealcoholization hop tea in a french press . Boiling out the alcohol also tends to boil out much of the hop flavor and aroma.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No ABV.....what's the use? Drink water

Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
No ABV.....what's the use? Drink water
Oh, yes, how awesome you are for positing such an awesome assertion You even added the "rockin" emoticon. Man, you are HARD CORE, dude. Whooo, yay booze!

First off, my dad's been sober for 20+ years, but he still likes the taste of beer. Why don't you go ask him "what's the use"?

Secondly, my wife has a fetus in her belly the size of an avocado right now, but she loves the taste of beer. Why don't you go ask her "what's the use"?

Here's the thing: not everyone is a drunk-ass college kid, and getting blasted is not always the primary goal. So perhaps, next time you think about posting such nonsense, you should think again.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Owwww, while Evan put it a bit harsher than me, Im going to have to agree with him.

Homebrewing - Whats the point? Drink store bought beer - its cheaper and quicker and half the challenge!

I would honestly have to say that if I was in this hobby for the alcohol value alone then I wouldnt be here long. Creating a craft beer vs a crap beer is what its about. If I wanted plain ol ABV then I would buy a 12 pack of Natty Light, or some PBR, or even take a shot of formaldehyde.

As much as I hate to say it, I actually dumped a higher ABV concoction that I made because it got me torn beyond recognition with little enjoyment of it inbetween. To me, thats not the point of homebrewing. The buzz provided by the alcohol compliments the buzz of satisfaction from the enjoyment of my craft.
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Quick Reply