New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No room to bottle the beer, so I...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You probably spent more on the root beer than a case of empty glass bottles from the LHBS.

Also, from my reading on here(not personal experience) it is not possible to remove rootbeer "residue" from bottles and it will likely flavor your beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

3 of the 15 liters are root beer while the other 12 are cream soda.

I searched through this forum as well as others and as it turns out, you can get the taste and smell out if you use oxy clean and soak the bottles over night. Don use hot water instead use cold so not to set anything into the plastic.

I'll find out tonight if there is any residual odor left.

Tomorrow I will also see if its all gone.

At my walmart I couldnt find any 2-liters that were brown. All the root beer outfits have converted to clear bottles. I was gonna buy a deep green Ginger Ale bottle from Seagrams... but I like the versatility of 1 liters so I stuck with them.

Look, these bottles are mostly a temp solution until I get my keg set up going.

With the kegs, bare min from the kegconnection I will need 160 dollars... 70 fpr regulator set up, 40 and 50 for both the CO2 and C-keg.

Then I run into the problem of keeping the keg cold... I need a kegerator.

In the mean time, I will bottle until I get all that.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
sirmeowsalot
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with xpert I haven't personally dealt with root beer and soft plastics but there was a local bar who had a root beer on tap then replaced it with a stout without changing the line. The root beer flavor was reaaally prominent.

Maybe do an experiment and fill one up simply with water or even some uncarbonated beer, let it sit and see if you get any root beer flavor, before potentially losing an entire batch.

Also I don't actually know but couldn't you order the mr. Beer bottles from somewhere? Aren't those also 1L brown plastic? at least that's what they look like to me.

Edit: didn't see your reply prior to sending this lol.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

I do have 8 Mr Beer liters... my LHBS doesnt sell 1-liter plastic bottles.

Just 24-500 ml plastic bottles for about 20 bucks with the caps.

I also get annoyed bottling and cleaning the little guys. I have 2 cases of them already... not interested in adding more.

I dont feel like waiting for online delivery when I can stop at the store on the way home. This was all done in a pinch... so I can bottle this weekend and ferment 10 more gallons. It's all about the pipeline. Id rather let a beer sit in the bottle and mature than have my raw ingredients sit on the shelf and go stale.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

My next sub-goal might be to create a 2-liter bottle sleeve that will keep the light out.

Then I will be able to bottle 8 - 2 liter bottles and bottle the whole batch in no time.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
amosher13
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

not sure where you all live but i found dark brown grolsch style bottles with the same type of cap and everything at Cost Plus World Market for $6 each but i guess you can get these online too.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/dark-glass-liquor-bottle.do?&from=Search

Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Shoulda just got some bottled water in big bottles for next to nothing, dumped 'em out and then wrapped tin foil around them if you're so concerned about light. You can still keep clear bottles in a dark place (like a fridge) and not worry about anything.

This whole cream soda/root beer soak business seems like overkill.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Shoulda just got some bottled water in big bottles for next to nothing, dumped 'em out and then wrapped tin foil around them if you're so concerned about light. You can still keep clear bottles in a dark place (like a fridge) and not worry about anything.

This whole cream soda/root beer soak business seems like overkill.
Thanks for the idea.

But what about carbing?

I wonder what tge biggest carbbed container is out there other than a keg.

Of course, anything much bigger than a 2-liter (remember 3-liters?) would be hard to pour... so one would need a keg and dispenser anyway.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Thanks for the idea.

But what about carbing?

I wonder what tge biggest carbbed container is out there other than a keg.

Of course, anything much bigger than a 2-liter (remember 3-liters?) would be hard to pour... so one would need a keg and dispenser anyway.
Use priming sugar. Just put them somewhere dark and warm instead of dark and cold.

If you've got CO2 available, then Carb cap. When I keg/bottle I usually fill a 2L so I can try some right away. In the OP's case he could carb 2L in 1 minute with the cap, let it sit for a few minutes, then replace with the original cap and keep going like that. If he had 2 carb caps then it's just that much faster.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Using water bottles can cause bottle bombs because their caps are not rated. Can cause....

I already have a carb cap for 2-liters with a CO2 hand charger/cartridges.

Thats what I use for the 1-liters when I am done and have a half empty. And I saw some neat youtube videos with 2-liters be forced carb with the cap and the regulator/co2... thats where I got the 2-liter idea.

A 2-liter at Walmart is danm cheap.

As far as the sleeve, yeah it wouldnt be much different than the carboy self made covers only small enough for a 2-liter.

Quick Reply