Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No more glass for me ...PIC..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #41
TroubleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Speaking personally, I'm using plastic (cause it's almost impossible to get glass bottles over here), and these days I'm damn happy that I do. I have no opinion either way about the durability of glass compared to plastic, and I'm quite happy to concede that many people have used many glass carboys for many years without a problem.

But if a glass carboy ruptures while you're moving/holding/near it, due to accident or due to bad quality glass, there's potential for life threatening or otherwise quite serious injuries. If a plastic bucket ruptures, due to accident or to bad quality glass, the only way you'll get hurt is if it was full of uncooled wort, or you slip in it.

I'm not saying don't use glass, to each their own, but I personally have not, and after hearing some of the horror stories, will not. I'd rather a slight plasticky taste (which I've never had) or an infection (which I'm pretty sure I've never had) then shards of glass embedded in me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #42
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
Here's the thing with glass though, many of you reply to this thread almost arrogantly of how you've used glass for so long with no problems..... .
I hope you did not take my post that way. I REALLY want to know about using the handles.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #43
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
So you should NOT use these as I have been doing since I got them a year ago?
I think these are fine for transporting empty...but I don't think they were intended to lug around a full carboy.

Knowing how heavy a full 6.5 glass carboy is, just looking at that image (to me) spells disaster. I don't see how physics supports the notion that the torque you'd put on that 2 1/2 inch neck when lifting a full CB would not cause failure.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #44
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 about the Types of glass link, very interesting.

Unless they are emptied, I now carry mine in milk crates, padded with several layers of the type of foam you put underneath hardwood floorings, feels safe enough for me.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #45
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks guys. I have buckets as well but for some reason I always use my carboys first. I know it can be catastrophic if one of these fails with or without anything in them if it happens when you are handling them. I do pick my carboys up with the handle when full to put them into the freezer and to get them out and set on top of the freezer for racking.

I would love to use a better bottle but haven't really seen a lot about cleaning them. With the glass carboys I soak them for a day or may 5 depending on when I get back to them. I use a mixer wand attached to my drill to stir it up initially and then again after soaking. This usually knocks everything off the sides and bottom. Then I use a carboy brush to scrub the sides, top and neck. All this with oxyclean. My concern is scratching the plastic on a BB doing this or not getting it clean enough if I don't brush it. Which to me makes buckets the best of both worlds as you can clean them without using a brush due to the access.

Your thoughts?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #46
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm I have 5 glass carboys and have never had a problem with them at all, no chips no cracks and I don't really treat them that nicely.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #47
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
I have neck handles on all my carboys. Before the enlightening (learning the way of the milk crate) i would pick up the carboys, my strong arm under the bottom, and the weak arm on the handle, more to steady it then to lift weight, and carry them around. I leave them on now as a solid place to grab the carboy for any reason. All mine are in milk crates now. And I have sinned before. I have picked up a full carboy, started anyways, to get my hand under it, with the handle. And I immediately scolded myself for doing it. I soak mine in the hottest tap water with oxyclean, and after the insides are clean, I lay them on their side in my dishwasher, and run the quick rinse feature, and they come out clean as a whistle.
All my carboys have imperfections in them, lines and what not. They all are from south of the border. But they have a year or more on each, and are still doing fine. I do realize how quickly that could go to hell in a handbasket, as glass is always ready to break. It lives in that state of mind.
My 2 cents...A great day to all!

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 02-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #48
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
...i would pick up the carboys, my strong arm under the bottom, and the weak arm on the handle, more to steady it then to lift weight, and carry them around....
The underneath support is critical. I grab mine...left had around the throat...right hand under the @ss.

Yes...I'm talking about a glass carboy.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #49
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef1966 View Post
+1 about the Types of glass link, very interesting.

Unless they are emptied, I now carry mine in milk crates, padded with several layers of the type of foam you put underneath hardwood floorings, feels safe enough for me.

That looks very safe and always better go to the extra step to insure no breakage.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #50
BeerNewbie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone know where to pick up some cheap/free milk crates?

Quick Reply