HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No more glass for me ...PIC..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
DrinksWellWithOthers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

They're stress fractures. I have them on a couple of my 5 gallon carboys. I think its the quality of the glass as none of my 6.5 gallon carboys don't have them and I think its because they're better made. To be careful you should avoid handling them by the neck. I still use them though without problems and I always use a carboy hauler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
Panzermann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have seen two threads about glass carboy issues in the last week. These IMO are freak occurences that could be due to many reasons, stress on the carboy, being to hard on it (not sure what this means ha), and freak occurences.

The main thing I wanted to comment about was I see these threads and then some people respond with "I'm switching to Better Bottles".."I am nervous now"...

Come on people...thats like reading a thread where someone got an infected batch and you grow paranoid over your brew or quit altogether.

Glass is perfectly safe to brew in and it has been used for decades upon decades. I use both and have had no issues whatsoever. I am actually just now cooling my wort on my batch and have the glass carboy sanitising now.

Remember...sit back and have one and relax.

folgen Sie die Reinheitsgebot oder die Deutschen reinheit gesetz?

***No longer have time to keep up with all my batches***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short

Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have two carboys that have cracks like that. I've used them fine with no problems. As long as you don't pick em up by the neck they'll be fine.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its all good saying they're fine to use until I have one shatter possibly sending me to the ER and causing havoc in my house, 5 gallons of beer on a floor and floor molding is no small deal. I don't consider myself paranoid but I also like to feel I have good common sense. Common sense tells me if a 5 gallon all glass vessel has stress fractures in possibly the weakest area then its not a good idea to fill it fully and continue like nothing is wrong.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
Its all good saying they're fine to use until I have one shatter possibly sending me to the ER and causing havoc in my house, 5 gallons of beer on a floor and floor molding is no small deal. I don't consider myself paranoid but I also like to feel I have good common sense. Common sense tells me if a 5 gallon all glass vessel has stress fractures in possibly the weakest area then its not a good idea to fill it fully and continue like nothing is wrong.
I like your logic. This is probably turning into another one of those glass vs. plastic threads, so if you use glass with no issues, continue to do so. The only reason I haven't had issues with glass is because I use plastic. If I had glass, I know it would be a matter of time before I broke one.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I've come over to the Better Bottle side because it's not just one or two threads about this; it's probably thirty or forty threads over the past couple years where someone had a carboy shatter, sometimes because they weren't careful (accidents DO happen) or sometimes without any apparent cause (like might be the case here). From all the firsthand accounts I've read, this really ISN'T a freak thing, it does happen, not to everybody but it could happen to anybody. It's just not worth it, especially since Better Bottles are now cheaper than glass carboys.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't usually carry them around the house while they are full, they get filled from my plastic primary, i then lift them on the table from the floor one hand holding the bottom and the other one grabbing the neck, (only time i manipulate them filled with liquid), so to me, it feels like I'd be like the guy getting struck by a lightning, it can still happen, but what are the odds?

I'll just inspect them more carefully for cracks or anything from now on.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hell with it, it was running trough my head last night so i have made a little setup for glass carboy with a plastic milk crate with foam all around, so picking it up from the floor shouldn't be so potentially dangerous using it.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

yourdudeness Likes This 
Old 02-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I've come over to the Better Bottle side because it's not just one or two threads about this; it's probably thirty or forty threads over the past couple years where someone had a carboy shatter, sometimes because they weren't careful (accidents DO happen) or sometimes without any apparent cause (like might be the case here). From all the firsthand accounts I've read, this really ISN'T a freak thing, it does happen, not to everybody but it could happen to anybody. It's just not worth it, especially since Better Bottles are now cheaper than glass carboys.
I agree totally.....I think the issue is two fold...glass gets brittle with age, so older ones may fail over time...and newer ones, especially made in the last couple years are more than likely made by companies who don't give a flying fuq if their products last or not, and will cut corners every step of the way to make a buck....

Now adays, especially with such a viable replacement, it just doesn't seem worth the risk anymore...especially since the price has spiked.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Looks like a quality control issue.

Both of my 6.5 carboys came from the FIL when he worked at Bristol Myers.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply