Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No homebrew stores in my state

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Wow - I am lucky too - I have one a five minute drive from my house (but dammitall, the on-street parking out front has parking meters!).

I doubt my guy is getting rich. He is often busy but I know he is a retired drug company executive who is probably doing pretty well on his pension.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i'd pay a meter rather than drive 1.5 hrs! ;~)

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
i'd pay a meter rather than drive 1.5 hrs! ;~)
I sometimes shop online because I don't like to drive 30 minutes... That gas has got to cost you more than shipping! (Unless you're going that way anyways)

Old 01-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Most of the brewing shops I've seen that are viable businesses also deal with the wine crowd. Home wine makers are a lot like self-published authors, money isn't an object. In fact, the closest supplier to my home (35 miles) supplies commercial wineries, home wine makers and over in the corner, brewing. The place in Corvalllis, which is owned and operated by homebrewers, has the wines & wine making gear in the front and the brewing stuff in the back (I suspect in part to keep the grain dust off of the wine bottles).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #16
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
I sometimes shop online because I don't like to drive 30 minutes... That gas has got to cost you more than shipping! (Unless you're going that way anyways)
oh yea it does. but, it's the experience. usually a brew bud goes with me. one pays for gas, the other pays for lunch at the brewpub near the HBS. then we stop by a killer tap house (www.gingermanpub.com) and have a pint or two for the road. so it's always a fun day. sometimes we hit the Saint Arnold Brewery tour rather than the tap house.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #17
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was looking at a brew supplier on line. Turns out their shipping was over half the cost of merchandise. I like the places with free shipping. My local home brew store has erratic hours. The guy never wears shoes and it is a real disappointment to drive there and find the place closed. Only about a 16 minute drive though.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #18
Ed_Savage
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Better prices, better variety, and I can shop in my underwear.
Hey, at least I know now that I'm not the only one that shops online while wearing my dralls! On some not-so-rare occasions you can catch me eating cold pizza, typing with one hand, and sipping a tall glass of home brew. With my feet kicked back on the computer desk in my Spongebob Squarepants boxers.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #19
BadKarmaa

Recipes 

Default oh but there is!

As previously mentioned, Victors Grape Arbor sell homebrewing supplies but it is a limited selection. you can check it out on victorsgraparbor.com. or drive. Taos isn't that far. 2.5 hours? It's on San Mateo Pl just off of Cutler. Jubillation doesn't have brew supplies but they do have a fantastic selection of beer and wine. There was another HBS called Bootleger's Supply but it just recently closed. I would just make a road trip out of it like these other guys. Check out Chama River Brewing Co. Great beer and pretty decent food too. They aslo have a chill tobacco room. Kelly's is another great choice. It's on Central and Wellesley by the University.

Quick Reply