The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No head on newly brewed batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
horrorclause
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
That's not to say you might have heading problems due to your recipe, but you should always make sure the process is complete. And for most beers 3 weeks at 70 is the minimum it takes to carb and condition many beers. Some take longer. So it's always a good idea to err on the side of caution, and make sure before declaring an "emergency."
Now I know for the future. I took your advice and took all the bottles out of the fridge and they were 68 F by this morning, so I shook up the test bottle a bit to rouse the yeast. There is a fair amount of foam in the bottle when I swirled it up, so maybe there is still hope!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
iamkj
Recipes 

Very funny. After I jut finished that same recipe with no head I searched this forum for causes. Hopefully it's not eh recipe. You are a week ahead of me I think so I'd love to hear if you have better luck after waiting a little longer.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Mithranbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, my WHHA after 2 weeks in the bottle has some head. Minimal, but about what I'd expect after 2 weeks. (Also Northern Brewer kit)

image-3749434331.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

That's a typical not develop head from not being fully carbed

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
i4ourgot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

sometimes a little malto dextrin can help

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
horrorclause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithranbeer
For what it's worth, my WHHA after 2 weeks in the bottle has some head. Minimal, but about what I'd expect after 2 weeks. (Also Northern Brewer kit)
Well it's good to see that my color is right, but that's a bit more head than what I was getting.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
horrorclause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkj
Very funny. After I jut finished that same recipe with no head I searched this forum for causes. Hopefully it's not eh recipe. You are a week ahead of me I think so I'd love to hear if you have better luck after waiting a little longer.
I'll definitely update, but I think I'm going to leave it for another two weeks in the bottles

Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Mithranbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorclause

Well it's good to see that my color is right, but that's a bit more head than what I was getting.
I just now realized the NB kit came with carb drops which I did not use. Instead I primed with honey - seemed more appropriate.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
horrorclause
Recipes 

Ok, so here is what I did. I took the bottles and shook them a bit to re rouse the yeast, left them for a week and then placed one bottle in the fridge for 24 hours, cleaned a glass by hand using cold water, and voilà! A beautiful beer with an even better looking head

image-2871104145.jpg   image-191841292.jpg  

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Just listen to Revvy and give it time. Shaking the bottles is not necessary (and not a good idea), leave them alone at room temperature and let them do their thing. Sometimes when I crack my first couple open I have carbonation and it tastes fine, but the head hasn't developed. Few weeks later it's there, just be patient.

Quick Reply