Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No head on my beer, but it is carbed, wtf?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Well, there are a couple compounds in beer responsible for head formation, and head retention... Protien Z and LTP1

What was your fermentation temp? That will affect it.

How vigorous was the boil? This will affect it.

What was your yeast pitch rate? This will affect it.

How well was the wort aerated? This will affect it.

Do you "shake" our kegs to quickly carb them? This will affect it.

Does it produce any head?

If you place it in a container and shake it like mad, will it make a head? This will take carbonation out of the picture and tell you if your beer is even capable of creating or retaining head...

__________________

Last edited by The Pol; 11-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
JesseRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,784
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I've had this issue on some kegs where I over filled my keg and didn't leave a whole lot of head space. I bet once your keg goes down a few pints and a week later you will have some. Either that or wait a bit longer.

I've learned the hard way, that I should not judge the beer's carbonation until the keg is half empty. THe last half of your keg will be more carbed. In the past I made adjustments to the full keg to get what I want , only to have the last half of the keg produce nothing but foam. THe key is to find a happy medium.

__________________

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy


Last edited by JesseRC; 11-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.
JesseRC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no easy answer. There is no overly simplistic answer to a beer that is carbed, not creating a head. There are so many factors that will affect the actions of protien Z and LTP1

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
jackson_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago IL
Posts: 331
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

hehe, you cant get good head. and i have the sense of humor of a 14 year old. but you still cant get head..

__________________

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...
jackson_d is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pjj2ba's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,427
Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Does it produce any head?

If you place it in a container and shake it like mad, will it make a head? This will take carbonation out of the picture and tell you if your beer is even capable of creating or retaining head...
If the the answer to this question is yes, then you have head killers. Since this is in a keg, I'd be tempted to put a little lecithin in the beer. You can find lecithin in the dietary supplements section of big supermarkets and health food stores. I does not dissolve in water very well. I'd mix 1/2 a tsp in some grain alcohol and add it to the keg, close it up and give it a vigourous shake and let it sit for a day.

Lecithin is an emulsifier and will counteract the negative affect of any oils in the beer
__________________
On Tap: Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Maibock,
Kegged and Aging/Lagering:CAP, CAP II, Wheat lager, Imperial Pilsner, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), light beer - yes, light beer, Belgian IPA, IPA,
Secondary:
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
pjj2ba is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Exactly... even without carbonating, you can determine if your beer will have a head.

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
bdnoona
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 514
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Well, there are a couple compounds in beer responsible for head formation, and head retention... Protien Z and LTP1

What was your fermentation temp? That will affect it.

How vigorous was the boil? This will affect it.

What was your yeast pitch rate? This will affect it.

How well was the wort aerated? This will affect it.

Do you "shake" our kegs to quickly carb them? This will affect it.

Does it produce any head?

If you place it in a container and shake it like mad, will it make a head? This will take carbonation out of the picture and tell you if your beer is even capable of creating or retaining head...
Fermented in the upper 60F's, a rolling boil, 11.5g S-05 pitched into 1.048 wort, well aerated, I don't shake the kegs to carb them. It doesn't produce any head out of the tap. I'll try the shaking it thing tonight.
__________________

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

bdnoona is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
bdnoona
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vernon Hills, IL
Posts: 514
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
I've had this issue on some kegs where I over filled my keg and didn't leave a whole lot of head space. I bet once your keg goes down a few pints and a week later you will have some. Either that or wait a bit longer.

I've learned the hard way, that I should not judge the beer's carbonation until the keg is half empty. THe last half of your keg will be more carbed. In the past I made adjustments to the full keg to get what I want , only to have the last half of the keg produce nothing but foam. THe key is to find a happy medium.
Holy crap, this might be it! When I filled it up, the starsan foam blocked my view of filling it. It was so over filled I had to siphon beer back out of the keg to get the lid on. I'll drink some more pints in the next few days and hit it on high PSI again. Hopefully you are right JesseRC.
__________________

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

bdnoona is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
JesseRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,784
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnoona View Post
Holy crap, this might be it! When I filled it up, the starsan foam blocked my view of filling it. It was so over filled I had to siphon beer back out of the keg to get the lid on. I'll drink some more pints in the next few days and hit it on high PSI again. Hopefully you are right JesseRC.
Sure, but you missed the part about me learning the hard way. If your start changing too many variables and force carbing on high, pretty soon you'll be starting a Thread title "is my beer over carbed". I'd first follow Pol's advice, as it is a fairly easy procedure. Like I said in my post. You might get it where you want it now, but halfway through the keg you'll be complaining of too much foam.

I keep mine at 10 psi, a keg at 7-10 days on co2 hardly has any head. Once it gets down halfway the head is great and is fine for the rest of the keg. This might also have to do with time and co2 absorbtion.

An untapped keg sitting there in the keezer for 1+month on co2 at 10 psi, has perfect head once tapped.

So either set it at serving and wait or start troubleshooting like mad.
__________________

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

JesseRC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
Sure, but you missed the part about me learning the hard way. If your start changing too many variables and force carbing on high, pretty soon you'll be starting a Thread title "is my beer over carbed". I'd first follow Pol's advice, as it is a fairly easy procedure. Like I said in my post. You might get it where you want it now, but halfway through the keg you'll be complaining of too much foam.

I keep mine at 10 psi, a keg at 7-10 days on co2 hardly has any head. Once it gets down halfway the head is great and is fine for the rest of the keg. This might also have to do with time and co2 absorbtion.

An untapped keg sitting there in the keezer for 1+month on co2 at 10 psi, has perfect head once tapped.

So either set it at serving and wait or start troubleshooting like mad.
This is why you need to take a sample, place it in a nice clean container and shake he heck out of it to see if it will create head. If not, then nothing you will do with regard to head space etc. will help. This is an easy test to see if it is the beer itself.
__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refrigerating carbed beer Ondovcs1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 07-29-2009 12:30 AM
What caused so much head? Too carbed? kyleobie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 05-31-2009 01:41 AM
Can I take gravity of a carbed beer? ghart999 Bottling/Kegging 2 05-20-2009 02:30 PM
over/under carbed beer? timmystank Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 04-29-2009 06:37 PM
over carbed bottled beer bluehouse General Beer Discussion 3 03-29-2009 03:35 AM