Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No hangover/headache from homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
McMalty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default No hangover/headache from homebrew

This is an amazing side effect I get from homebrewing. When ever i burn down the house with homebrew, i don't really feel that bad in the morning. this is apposed to drinking commerical brews in which i wake up with a nice little headache in the morning (assuming i had myself a good night).

I've read that a possible reason for this is that brewer's yeast contains essential B vitamins that aide your body in with the effects of a hangover.

Since I don't filter my brew (at least not beyond the secondary), the yeast hangs around, which I actually prefer, i love the yeast. But commercial brewers filter all the headache-saving goodness out of their brew (seems conter-productive to me, no hangover, sell more beer). I'm prone to hangovers, i guess b/c i drink almost no water. My body doesn't say "im thirsty" so i tend to not drink liquids that much (not even with meals, ik, effin weird)

Anyway, anyone else have similar effects?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
mendnwngs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I find that the evenings I over-imbibe on homebrew are a little less horrific the next day than if I were to have partied on commercial brew, or bourbon.. Wine is in a class all to itself for me.. I drink a half bottle of red wine, and i'm entirely useless the next day.

I don't know if its the B complex from the yeast, or what.. But homebrew seems to treat me pretty well.

-Jason

Respect yeast. (Its the only culture I have!)

Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I find that although they don't hurt, I'm still fairly ****ty the next morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i find that if i slam some commercial brews, then stop, a few hrs later i have a massive headache. but i can slam 10 HBs and not feel terrible in a couple of hours. It's great, yeast is great

Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
mendnwngs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Indeed!

Respect yeast. (Its the only culture I have!)

Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with the lower headache levels, but I have noticed one significant effect of homebrew abuse is toilet abuse about 12 hours afterward. I also brew my own kombucha, which is replete with bugs, and it doesn't do it to me, so I'm thinking that it may be more a product of the fuller bodied beers. I haven't got slammed on comercial craft beers in a long time, so I can't really compare to that.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
joel4482
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've found that homebrew helps with the hangover but is much worse on the flatulation. I think it is a good trade off.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel4482 View Post
I've found that homebrew helps with the hangover but is much worse on the flatulation. I think it is a good trade off.
Roger that. Farts are funny, and anyone who says they aren't is lying.

Problem is that too much homebrew has me playing Russian Roulet with my briefs.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is it in beer that gives a headache directly after drinking? Not a hangover, mind you, but instead a sharp headache after drinking 1 glass, or 2 glasses....almost like caffeine withdrawal. I get this almost every time I have certain commercial/ micro brews, but can't remember the affect on homebrew. ABV doesn't change the outcome, either.

On that note (sorry for the slight hijacking, I've wondered this for awhile), my headaches are less during a hangover on homebrew than anything else, but I still feel just as useless, apathetic and sluggish as other consumables. Kyle

Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
StarCityBrewMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been drinking more yet less since getting my homebrew pipeline started which keeps my hangovers away and I love that!

What I am saying is that I now drink about a beer a day during the week and then drink around 6 on a Friday or Saturday night. These beers are 5-7% ABV so they do the trick but now I'm not burning the midnight oil pounding 4% beers and urinating 6 times per hour, dehydrating the hell out of myself.

I get the buzz we all love while drinking far less all while enjoying what I have created, there is nothing better!

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA

Quick Reply