Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No carbonation in my bottles???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
kylelarson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No carbonation in my bottles???

It's been five days and I cracked my first bottle and there is almost no carbonation. It has been unusually cold in my storage, probably around 55 degrees or so. If I move my bottles to a warmer area of the house would the yeast get more active or am I kind of screwed now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelarson View Post
It's been five days and I cracked my first bottle and there is almost no carbonation. It has been unusually cold in my storage, probably around 55 degrees or so. If I move my bottles to a warmer area of the house would the yeast get more active or am I kind of screwed now?
Move it to a warm spot and it will carb up just fine. My last apfelwein went ~4-5 weeks with zero carbonation at ~60F and was beautifully carbed after moving it to ~70F for 1 week.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

NO......5 days is way to early, try 3 weeks. There's a bunch of threads on this site about bottle conditioning.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
kylelarson
Recipes 

Encouraging words. It's an IPA so it should condition for a couple weeks at least anyway I think. I'll check another bottle next week to see where I'm at

Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2302 Times on 2003 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

They need to be in a lot warmer spot. Since you burned a week dormant,it'll likely be three more weeks to get the yeast going again & carbonate.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Sjorge3442
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

had the same issue. Move them to a warm closet or room. Shake the cases up too. Start the bottle conditioning time over while you'll doing it. It takes a little longer for the yeast to wake back up.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

There really is no other answer than patience, because there really isn't a problem. It really is a simply and fool proof process. The problem arises that we try to govern the behavior based on our timeframe, and not the yeast's. They don't read calendars or instruction sheets, they just do their own thing in however long it takes them.

I've been doing this for years, and bottled nearly a thousand gallons of beer, and have never had one that didn't carb eventually. And I don't do anything special to them at bottling day, that isn't explained in my bottling sticky. You just gotta wait.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Listen to Revvy. Way too llittle time and way too cold. Warm up the beer and wait, and it WILL carb up.

Quick Reply