Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No carb beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
sharkbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No carb beer!

How would one go about brewing "no carb" beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Celticgladiator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

not sure it's possible, alcohol by nature is a type of carb as well as the sugars from the grain etc. I know there are low carb beers but as far as no carb I'm not thinking it possible

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticgladiator View Post
not sure it's possible, alcohol by nature is a type of carb as well as the sugars from the grain etc. I know there are low carb beers but as far as no carb I'm not thinking it possible
Low carb beers mostly are a little beer and lot of water. As for no carbs, if you don't count an alcohol as a carbohydrate (like some marketing groups like to), you may have a chance if you mash low with nothing but 2 or 6 row barley, rice, corn, or dextrose/sucrose. Even then, you'll have some.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Carb is a contraction of 2 or more different words with different meanings. Do you mean carbohydrates or carbonation? One is fairly easy to get, the other is impossible.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

As Newgene said, if we don't count alcohol as a carbohydrate, because I assume that we're looking to do something similar to conglomerate beer in the "low carbohydrate" area, then perhaps we could let the beer ferment out, then use a wine yeast to drive the FG even lower. It would leave you with a VERY dry beer with a high ABV. I'm not saying it'd be good, or bad, but if you wanted to get rid of the residual sugar, this could be one way to go without a lot of factory equipment.

If you want no carbonation, then bulk aging is your friend. If you're brewing a lower ABV, or just not patient, then look up a wine degasser.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No carb beer is highly improbable. Low carb beer is do-able: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/diabetic-friendly-beer-trials-ae-disscusion-314858/

Quick Reply