The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No bubbles from Air Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
dabull25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No bubbles from Air Lock

This is my third batch of beer a white beer. I brewed this on Monday evening and now(wednesday) there is still no bubbling from my air lock. I forgot to take a gravity reading before I pitched the yeast. What should I do? Should I be worried? The yeast I used was Wyeast 3944. I did not make a starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

How is the seal? I had a batch a few batches ago that didn't appear to be fermenting. I checked the seal of the bung to the fermenter and low and behold, it just wasn't a good seal. I hit the bung back into place and watched a really violent fermentation through the airlock.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Have you checked to see if you have a good seal on the grommet/bung?

3944 is usually a very active yeast. I would look to see if you at least have a krausen forming. If not, I'd say something is wrong.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull25 View Post
This is my third batch of beer a white beer. I brewed this on Monday evening and now(wednesday) there is still no bubbling from my air lock. I forgot to take a gravity reading before I pitched the yeast. What should I do? Should I be worried? The yeast I used was Wyeast 3944. I did not make a starter.
Better leave it alone for a few weeks, then carefully add priming sugar, bottle and send it to me for evaluation. I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you pitched liquid yeast without a starter, then it has it's work cut out for it. Leave it for at least 14 days or so, then take a gravity reading. If the recipe told you anticipated OG, then assume you hit it. If you aren't sure what your anticipated OG was, then use something like Brewtarget to determine it. Then you can measure SG and compare with anticipated FG. In any case, after a couple of weeks, 3 successive SG measurements that are identical will indicate the fermentation is complete. If you aren't anywhere near anticipated FG in a couple of weeks, pick up a packet of Nottingham from your LHBS and toss that on there. That should finish it up for you.
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
theblaster
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

can you see into your fermentation container (ie, carboy or bucket) and if so, can you see a foamy layer on top? That would count as a good sign.

Stick your nose near the airlock. does it smell like the sweet nectar of the gods? If so, that's also a good sign. And as others have suggested, check everything to make sure it is on tight (if brewing in a bucket, check the edge of the lid all the way around).

Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Hunter76
Recipes 

I also brewed on Monday with the same yeast. However, I made a 2l starter for my 5 batch. 24 hours later it was producing huge bubbles in the blow off jug. Temp also spiked to around 80F, could have been higher. However as of this morning it's down to 62F (about ambient garage temp), producing slow bubbles with a standard airlock. FYI, it was the SWMBO slayer recipe w/ a starting sg of 1.052.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
dabull25
Recipes 

could I repitch another bag of Wyeast?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I wouldn't pitch more yeast right now. I'd follow Wyrmwood's advice and just wait and see what happens. Or if you really want to know now, take a gravity reading today and another tomorrow. If there's a difference, the beer is fermenting.

A loose seal on a fermenter lid can prevent your airlock from bubbling, as can a number of other factors. I've brewed many, many beers that came out great and for which I never saw or heard a single "bloop". As many on this board have noted in the past, the airlock is not an accurate indicator of fermentation - a gravity reading is the only sure way to know if the yeastie boys are during their job.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbou View Post
I wouldn't pitch more yeast right now. I'd follow Wyrmwood's advice and just wait and see what happens. Or if you really want to know now, take a gravity reading today and another tomorrow. If there's a difference, the beer is fermenting.

A loose seal on a fermenter lid can prevent your airlock from bubbling, as can a number of other factors. I've brewed many, many beers that came out great and for which I never saw or heard a single "bloop". As many on this board have noted in the past, the airlock is not an accurate indicator of fermentation - a gravity reading is the only sure way to know if the yeastie boys are during their job.
I would agree 100%. I just kegged a brew that it took 3 weeks to ferment out. I saw a little, very little activity the 2nd and 3rd day in the primary and then nothing after that. I did end up checking SG just because I thought for sure I had a stuck fermentation. The part that drove me nuts is that I have made this beer many times and never had this experiance.

Quick Reply