Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe IPA Contest Anyone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 564
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Vienna Malt and lager yeast!!

__________________

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

bellmtbbq is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 27,877
Liked 1835 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Default

Not exactly word for word there,hudy. Here's the link y'all; http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php
It just got me how everyone wants to cut out the hops,then all the base malts,etc. You can't cut out the base malts. Then you got no enzymes to convert the starches with. Geezuz got damn stupid shizz almighty...
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 1,954
Liked 364 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

I'd be in...but the restrictions do seem quite arbitrary. I would certainly lean on Southern Hemisphere hops you have negelected to exclude.

If I were to ever open a brewery developing a delcious American IPA not using all the expensive hops would be high priority and a definite necessity in my line up.

__________________
Xpertskir is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
hbhudy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atl.GA
Posts: 326
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Not exactly word for word there,hudy. Here's the link y'all; http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php
It just got me how everyone wants to cut out the hops,then all the base malts,etc. You can't cut out the base malts. Then you got no enzymes to convert the starches with. Geezuz got damn stupid shizz almighty...
Just trying to get some thoughts flowing besides the obvious comments of no hops, no malt, no yeast which we have already seen in the thread..

For me this is an extension of our hobby that I was hoping some folks would take a little more seriously. I have made many great IPAs and consumed many both commercial and homebrewed. One common thread seems the be the C hops, Amarillo, and Simcoe.. So I was just thinking a good little contest would be a way to get some new idea's flowing..
__________________
hbhudy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
hbhudy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atl.GA
Posts: 326
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I'd be in...but the restrictions do seem quite arbitrary. I would certainly lean on Southern Hemisphere hops you have negelected to exclude.

If I were to ever open a brewery developing a delcious American IPA not using all the expensive hops would be high priority and a definite necessity in my line up.
So far I don't think that we have come up with a clear outline to a contest yet, but I would like the basis to be an America IPA, without the C-hops, Amarillo, & Simcoe.. I am certainly open to add more hops to a "restricted list", but once we remove all the hops we seem to run out of a contest right? :O
__________________
hbhudy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,531
Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

I don't see the big deal. Brew with what you want if your goal is to learn about hops. Changing a focus hop in a recipe from Amarillo to Southern Cross and still making a tasty IPA isn't rocket science. This is not an obscure idea. Why does it have to be a contest?

__________________
bobbrews is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #27
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

There's a reason all the IPAs that are popular and that we like have those hops in them. There's a reason there's a citra shortage.

__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
hbhudy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atl.GA
Posts: 326
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I don't see the big deal. Brew with what you want if your goal is to learn about hops. Changing a focus hop in a recipe from Amarillo to Southern Cross and still making a tasty IPA isn't rocket science. This is not an obscure idea. Why does it have to be a contest?
Never suggested it was a big deal, just looking for some new idea's.

Why a contest?? Why not??
__________________
hbhudy is offline
maltoftheearth Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
hbhudy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atl.GA
Posts: 326
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
There's a reason all the IPAs that are popular and that we like have those hops in them. There's a reason there's a citra shortage.
This is exactly why I thought a contest would be a fun way to get some new ideas without brewing 5 different IPAs at the same time. Just saying it could be a cool way to get some more ideas.
__________________
hbhudy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhudy View Post
This is exactly why I thought a contest would be a fun way to get some new ideas without brewing 5 different IPAs at the same time. Just saying it could be a cool way to get some more ideas.
I know, I understand, was just messing around. Continuing on that note, if you want some ideas for recipes without those hops, check beer advocate for all the beers rated 90 or less, then you'll have some guidelines
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want (need?) Amarillo or Simcoe!!!! Brulosopher General Beer Discussion 29 01-22-2013 06:05 PM
cascade/amarillo vs centennial/amarillo APA Matteo57 Recipes/Ingredients 2 12-18-2012 04:55 PM
Amarillo and Simcoe ApexBrewWares Sponsor Showcase 3 04-12-2012 05:49 PM
For Sale - 2010 pellets hops - simcoe, amarillo, cascade mb2696 For Sale 6 01-25-2012 10:02 PM
For Sale - wtb amarillo and simcoe jhenderson27 For Sale 4 04-17-2011 03:57 AM