No activity after 12 hours after pitching!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBrewKing

Reaction score
A little concerned and need advice team. Pitched the yeast at 2 am and zero activity about 12 hours later. How long should I wait and hope and how do I kick start it? Used liquid wp005 British yeast.

Any help is appreciated!

What is the temperature you are fermenting at? The cooler the ambient temp, the longer it will take to kick off. Also, if no starter was used, you can also expect a slower starting fermentation.

12hours is not long enough to worry... If anything open the bucket after 72 and check it. I had no airlock activity after 3 days opened it to find a nice krausen on top about was doing it's thing. Might be a bucket leak or ?? I just wouldn't worry yet.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

A little concerned and need advice team. Pitched the yeast at 2 am and zero activity about 12 hours later. How long should I wait and hope and how do I kick start it? Used liquid wp005 British yeast.

Any help is appreciated!

If you want fast starts then make an appropriate starter, pitch at the correct temp, and use O2. Otherwise, be prepared to possibly wait up to a few days. If you just pitched one vial and maybe didn't oxygenate well enough then just wait. If the yeast were viable and you are at the correct temp then they will eventually work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Any help is appreciated!

I have to add the obligatory "lack of airlock activity is not indicative of stalled/non-existent fermentation."

Co2 can escape from the lid seal and not the airlock.

Also, as has been mentioned, 12 hours is nothing to be worried about. After 72 hours you can worry.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

It is way too early to get worried. Read the above.

I assume you didn't make a starter so it will take a while for the yeast to reproduce to cell counts sufficient to ferment the beer. If you make a proper sized starter you will get a much quicker start. I have had some take of in as little as a couple of hours. Even with starters some have taken longer than 12 hours.

Back