Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No activity??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Majikcook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No activity??

Good morning,
Yesterday I purchased a High Sierra kit with a tube of yeast. I brewed it last night, and this morning I do not see, or should say hear any activity in the bucket. It's been 12 hours, and usually I would be hearing some bubbling by now. First time I used the tube yeast so maybe it takes longer. Followed all instructions, so I know I did it right. If no activity tonight, I have a pack of dry yeast handy. Should I re-pitch after 24 hours if nothing going on?
Thanks

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to pitch more if you have no activity...I did that once, and then it took off . Follow the directions on the pack. Ive had better luck doing that than just pitching it dry. Give it 24 hours or so first though. It may just be taking off slow. You have an air lock on the bucket right?

Old 03-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it could take a little bit longer than the dry yeast. give it 24 hours, and if you pitch more yeast, pitch the same yeast you originally threw in to start with...

maybe check out a thread or two about starters for liquid yeast, almost a requirement for good jump starts on fermentation.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Majikcook
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Yes, there is an air lock on. It's just that the other yeasts I've used started activity after an evening, and this one didn't. I'll wait till tonight and if nothings up I'll repitch with some dry I have that was sent in a kit for a IPA. I'm making a APA so I think it will be fine.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A tip i got from a guy at the HBS was to buy some extra packets of dry yeast and keep them in the fridge for when that kind of thing happens. For .75 a pack it doesnt hurt to keep a few around.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I bet it's just fine and will take off. Liquid yeast packs, despite all claims to the contrary, NEED a starter made. They have a much lower cell count than a pack of dry yeast. So, to get a fast, vigorous ferment, you should really make a starter. It's easy to do. Look on this board for lots of discussion of it.

Short version: make a small batch of wort with DME (half gallon), then chill it and add yeast to it in a small jug with an airlock. Wait a couple days and then use that for your yeast pitch on brew day. You'll see a BIG difference. Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
Majikcook
Recipes 

Thanks again,
I checked it tonight and she's blowin tough. Guess the tube yeast just took longer to get rolling. I'll make a starter next time Janx, I see where that would have helped

Quick Reply