Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > No activity.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Jeffs-a-brewin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No activity.

Hey all thanks for the help in previous threads. I mad my first batch Wed night, it was bubbling away much to my delight. As i came home today i noticed that there is no bubbling taking place, not even a little one squeeking out. It was late wed night that i fiished so i'm assuming thurs, friday isn't enough time to complete. Unfortunatly i live in a very cold area in a house that isn't exactly heated like a sauna. my thermometer that i placed ontop of my pail is reading ariund 18 celcius or around 65-66 for you americans. whats up here. i'm worried about my pecious brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs-a-brewin
Hey all thanks for the help in previous threads. I mad my first batch Wed night, it was bubbling away much to my delight. As i came home today i noticed that there is no bubbling taking place, not even a little one squeeking out. It was late wed night that i fiished so i'm assuming thurs, friday isn't enough time to complete. Unfortunatly i live in a very cold area in a house that isn't exactly heated like a sauna. my thermometer that i placed ontop of my pail is reading ariund 18 celcius or around 65-66 for you americans. whats up here. i'm worried about my pecious brew
Coincidentally, I also started a batch late wed night. It was bubbling like crazy the last two days and now its stopped. Nothing to worry about though, probably just had a good fast and vigorous ferment. I plan on waiting till about tuesday or wednesday then racking it to the secondary. I would reccomend the same, unless you wanted to wait about 10 days total then bottle once you can be sure all activity has stopped.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Jeffs-a-brewin
Recipes 

well i was hoping it was just a fast ferment. But this being my first brew and my uncanny ability to mess things up had me a little worried. Thank you for your reply. I was planning on sitting on it until tuesday to move it to my secondary.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts

Actually, it can probably wait, but I'd recommend transferring to the secondary today or tomorrow.

Don't worry, it'll still ferment out. You just want to get it off of the old yeast as soon as possible.

Incidently, this is where you would want to prepare 2-4 bottles if you want to capture your yeast and reuse it. I use mine twice more after the initial, but I get twice more (2-4 bottles) to use with every primary.

If you reuse the yeast be sure to label each bottle with the name of the yeast, its style, date, and how many times it's been used. You'll have to come up with some numbering system that works for you like 0-1 would be the initial use, 1-2 would be from the first batch, second time used, 2-3 second batch third time used, etc.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Focus on sanitation and you have nothing to worry about. In your case, you have literally nothing to worry about because all seems to be going very well. Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-20-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts

I agree with Janx. It sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs-a-brewin
well i was hoping it was just a fast ferment. But this being my first brew and my uncanny ability to mess things up had me a little worried. Thank you for your reply. I was planning on sitting on it until tuesday to move it to my secondary.
If you want to put your mind at ease, you can test a bit of the beer when you rack it to the secondary. If you have a hydrometer, you could test it. If you don't you could just taste a bit of it (I can never resist tasing a bit of the brew at almost any stage of the process ). If it has only mild sweetness remaining, it has done what it needed to do in the primary. If it is wildly sweet (tastes almost like the wort after you boiled it) then perhaps the fermentation didn't finish. But from how you described it, everything should be cool! Can't wait to hear how your first batch turns out!
Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Quick Reply