New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nice article on how AB InBev is trying to destroy good beer for higher profits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
cval
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
It's pretty common knowledge here that local water, technique, and equipment has a huge impact on the end product, but the people in charge of the largest beer producer in the world have no idea that makes a difference. People are making decisions with no idea whatsoever of how the product they're selling is even made.
you think they don't know? they do, they just don't care in the name of profits. As long as it makes'em money, they won't change a thing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
Are we going to seriously imply that the hundreds of professional, career brewers that work for the world's largest most successful brewery aren't going to take water chemistry, malt statistics and hop provenance into account and obsessively analyze fermentation byproducts when trying to replicate an already mass-produced beer? What do you think they DO at AB, brewing identical beer in different cities all across the country?
I can attest that Becks and Bass do not taste like they used to. I noticed the difference before I knew they had moved production (I actually didn't even know Bass was owned by In Bev before reading that article). The brewers are not the ones making the decisions, career executives with no background in the actual brewing process are.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cval
you think they don't know? they do, they just don't care in the name of profits. As long as it makes'em money, they won't change a thing
I think the executives making these decisions don't know and don't care. Trimming costs and maximizing profits in itself is not a negative thing, but doing so at the expense of the quality of the product shows little respect for the customers. The sad thing is most of those customers won't notice or won't care.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 390

I've actually heard quite a few of my friends say that about becks and bass both. And I had no idea (they most certainly didn't) that InBev was mucking things up.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 157

My co-worker told me a few weeks back that he had a Beck's and instantly asked what the hell was wrong with it. He too looked over the bottle and noticed it was brewed not in Bremen but in St. Loius. I didn't believe he probably really noticed a difference thinking he probably knew ahead of time that it was no longer from Germany. I've had many beers that are brewed abroad and here, let's take Asahi who's cans come from Tokyo and the bottles from Canada, and I've never noticed a taste difference. Same goes for Fosters, they moved it from Canada to Texas and some other state and I never tasted a difference. But after reading that article and the cost cutting I'm curious to try a Beck's now since I am very familiar with the beer.

Gotta say, that article really disheartened me. I understand being profitable but it sounds like a company that was already profitable killed a lot of jobs and wealth spreading just to stick it all into the stock owners and executives pockets.

Rev.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

I had a Redhook Longhammer and Stone IPA recently and they didn't taste anything like they used to.

InBev isn't the only company that looks at profit margins and tries to cut costs where they can.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Same goes for Fosters, they moved it from Canada to Texas and some other state and I never tasted a difference. Rev.
I noticed the difference when Fosters went from Australia to Canada and I stopped buying it. Lowenbrau used to be very popular but when Miller started making it here it was not he same and sales dropped.

There is no way to make a beer taste exactly the same when using water from another country no matter how you treat it. It is the main reason German beer tastes different then English beer, Canadian beer, Japanese beer...ect

Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

What stuck out to me was the line about needing to take a few years off from buying hops because they had too much in stock? What? Can you have enough hops for years to come and still produce good beer that you expect to taste the same. I had a hard time believing that. And then the next paragraph made sense...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA
I had a Redhook Longhammer and Stone IPA recently and they didn't taste anything like they used to.

InBev isn't the only company that looks at profit margins and tries to cut costs where they can.
Redhook is terrible. All of their beers a light for the styles, IPAs have little hop flavor, oh yeah, and they made a deal with the devil (AB/Inbev). Its just for distribution, for now, but it really reflects on their MO. Now, when you buy Redhook at the grocery store, you're supporting AB/Inbev.

AB/Inbev is first an foremost a corporation, no different that Wal-Mart/Costco/etc, and i'd even compare them to the big pharmaceuticals, in the way of sponsoring laws that benefit them and hurt the little guy, back room deals, buying the competition instead of upping their product. They really are a bug bad company, but no one here should be surprised about that. All businesses want to make money, the difference here is craft breweries also want to make a fantastic product.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1338 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 2330

Disgusting article.

I will seriously boycott anything Inbev.

Evidence that the BMC mindless masses will drink anything as long as it has less flavor and is less filling.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin
iambeer Likes This 

Quick Reply