Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nice article on how AB InBev is trying to destroy good beer for higher profits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Gravedigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Nice article on how AB InBev is trying to destroy good beer for higher profits

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-25/the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer#p1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

That Brito guy sounds like a supreme EAC.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Damn companies and their desire to turn a profit!!! They should just give us beer for free!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Damn companies and their desire to turn a profit!!! They should just give us beer for free!
I don't mind the profit. I mind letting the bean-counters make the decisions. There's a difference between turning a profit and letting avarice override everything else.

and yes, they should!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

About the negative reaction from moving Becks and Bass to the US for production: "AB InBev doesn’t see what the fuss is about. Chibe says the company hasn’t altered the ingredients of either beer. So why are customers rebelling?"

That's the problem right there. It's pretty common knowledge here that local water, technique, and equipment has a huge impact on the end product, but the people in charge of the largest beer producer in the world have no idea that makes a difference. People are making decisions with no idea whatsoever of how the product they're selling is even made.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
The_Canmancan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
About the negative reaction from moving Becks and Bass to the US for production: "AB InBev doesn’t see what the fuss is about. Chibe says the company hasn’t altered the ingredients of either beer. So why are customers rebelling?"

That's the problem right there. It's pretty common knowledge here that local water, technique, and equipment has a huge impact on the end product, but the people in charge of the largest beer producer in the world have no idea that makes a difference. People are making decisions with no idea whatsoever of how the product they're selling is even made.
Exactly. I had the exact same reaction when I read that sentence. I don't mind a company making profit, but it has to stay true to itself. Clearly AB InBev isn't staying true to the brands it is acquiring. A company like AB InBev can't stay as profitable forever without acquiring more and more brands/companies, and this is one of the many reasons for the craft beer explosion in the U.S.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
byrdmen
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Makes me wonder if you read the whole article. Would you buy some ABInbev stock and hold it long term for your IRA/401k? He's burning the company from the inside out. He is selling all of the good will and marketing the Busch family built into their business over the years. What happens when there is nothing left to cut, like the article says, he may have to resort to brewing beer.

Another reason I will never drink another "Bud".
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

And they have scooped up so many brands: Stella, Jeffe, Hoegaarden, Whitbeer, Goose Island, etc, etc. It's really ashame and just makes me seek out the small craft guys even more.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

InBev is screwed in the long term. Ideas like Platinum and then others mentioned in the article are laughably bad. You can't cut costs forever.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Are we going to seriously imply that the hundreds of professional, career brewers that work for the world's largest most successful brewery aren't going to take water chemistry, malt statistics and hop provenance into account and obsessively analyze fermentation byproducts when trying to replicate an already mass-produced beer? What do you think they DO at AB, brewing identical beer in different cities all across the country?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

People Like This 

Quick Reply