The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NHC Scoresheets????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default NHC Scoresheets????

Anyone know what the deal is on the NHC scoresheets from final round? Thought they were going to be sent out by now.... anyone get theirs? Anyone know when they are going to get sent?

Thanks

Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Last I heard, there was a "truck" on it's way from Philly to Denver. But that was 2-3 weeks ago? IDK, I've kind of forgotten about getting my scores sheets back from NHC.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This year the UK NHC is (I've been assured) scanning and emailing score sheets.

Every entrant gets their score sheet, maybe you should email the organisers and suggest this approach for future years?

Tim

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I heard it was going to be a few weeks. You know this is my biggest pet peeve regarding comps...late scoresheets!! My suggestion is that you require entrants to enclose a SASE with your entry. That way all the organizer has to do is stuff an envelope and drop it in the mail. I don't know if you can make it any easier.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Was emailing Janis about something else and got this auto-reply:

Quote:
If you are e-mailing to find out about the NHC Final Round score sheets, medals, trophies, and prizes, here is the update. The last truck from Philadelphia arrived in Boulder Tuesday 7/16/13. All of the competition materials were delivered then. Shipments will begin around 7/24 through the end of this month. Thanks for your patience!
Late score sheets is also one of my least favorite things (as well as unchecked mini-bos on cover sheet), so I strive to not do that at our competitions.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Phunhog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
Was emailing Janis about something else and got this auto-reply:

Late score sheets is also one of my least favorite things (as well as unchecked mini-bos on cover sheet), so I strive to not do that at our competitions.
Amanda....I know you are involved in a lot of comps. Does my idea of the entrant sending a SASE with their entries make any sense? It seems like such a simple idea to address a constant problem. I would like to see it become a standard part of competitions.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Amanda....I know you are involved in a lot of comps. Does my idea of the entrant sending a SASE with their entries make any sense? It seems like such a simple idea to address a constant problem. I would like to see it become a standard part of competitions.
I'm not Amanda, but I don't see how that would speed things up. Scoresheets still need to be sorted and collated, which is what takes time.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Phunhog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'm not Amanda, but I don't see how that would speed things up. Scoresheets still need to be sorted and collated, which is what takes time.
I will be the first to admit I know very little about the inner workings of comps. I envision the stewards stuffing the non winning scoresheets into envelopes as soon as the flight is over. You could even just require a SASE for every beer entered. That way there is no waiting for all of an entrants beers to be judged.
I think waiting over a month for a scoresheet is a little ridiculous. I have entered some large comps where I have scanned scoresheets in less than a week.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I will be the first to admit I know very little about the inner workings of comps. I envision the stewards stuffing the non winning scoresheets into envelopes as soon as the flight is over. You could even just require a SASE for every beer entered. That way there is no waiting for all of an entrants beers to be judged.
I think waiting over a month for a scoresheet is a little ridiculous. I have entered some large comps where I have scanned scoresheets in less than a week.
In a comp as large as NHC, there isn't time for that. The stewards have all they can handle already.

How long it takes for scoresheet depends on each comp and the people running it. The situation with NHC this year was unusual and beyond the control of the AHA.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Thanks Amanda - exactly what I was looking for.

Late scoresheets are my pet peeve as well..... at the very least, letting people know what is going on would be nice - even a post on the AHA site with that update.

As for the SASE.... They could already have those ready if that was the issue. They have all the address info on file from the entry. I assume they just print labels and stick them on. That could all be done before the comp. started. I am sure there is a lot that goes into it, and the shipping issues back to Denver obviously would have not helped anything at all.

At least we know what is going on now, though.

Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Quick Reply