The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NHC competition timing question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default NHC competition timing question

I was looking at the info on the NHC and was curious about the timing. With over 2 months between the first and final rounds and many beers having a "peak" where they're best, do people rebrew after the first round and submit to each round from a different batch? Or should you make sure to submit beer from the same batch as your first rounders if that's what won your way into the final round? Is there a rule about this?

I know that with many beers it won't matter, but say you have a hef that really drops off in quality after a month or so in the bottle? What do you do when you enter a comp like this that has a wide time window between rounds?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Depends on the style. With Hefes like you mentioned, and maybe even APAs and the like, I would probably rebrew, but do it very soon after I submit to the first round, rather than wait for the results of the first round. With big beers, obviously just let 'em ride.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was considered bad form to not submit a beer from the same batch as the first round. Not that I'm assuming I'll need anything after the first round, but was trying to figure out when to brew what over the next couple months.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeah, that is just what I have heard one of the competition masters, Mike McDole talk about, since he regularly brews and advances hoppy beers. I am pretty sure I heard him talk about rebrewing right after the first submission. Then if he advances, he can decide at the time of the second submission whether or not to roll with the original or new beer. If rebrewed, you also have an outlet for blending the resubmission.

Quick Reply