New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NHC 2010, are you entering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #101
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhavoc View Post
when is that actual judging? (is that posted somewhere?) Ive never put in for NHC before, and Ive seen how other comps are at getting score sheets back (weeks)... are the first round score sheets returned pretty fast?
Mike, I think it varies by Region. I don't think my Region (SW) judges until the last weekend in April.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #102
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know if it is posted anywhere, however I know from the e-mails I've received through my brew club asking for help what the Northwest schedule is.

Entries were due Thursday Apr 01 by 5:00PM

Wed 4/7 and Thurs 4/8 are listed as bottle sorting dates so I assume this is where they group the beers and schedule the flights.

Friday evening 4/9 and all day Sat 4/10 are listed as judging days.

If the other regions follow a similiar schedule it looks like they will judge about 1 week after the cutoff date for entries.

I don't know what the schedule is for returning results, but with the Nationals in Mid June, and realizing they need to leave time for some brewers who may wish to rebrew entries I'd say they need to turn results at least to the advancing entries in a couple weeks.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 04-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #103
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I just think you know your **** or you don't. A rank doesn't make any difference.
I think everyone gets better with experience, if they are trying to get better, and rank does signal experience.

I do agree that some people are just naturally better. Very few people could walk into their first competition cold and do a great job as beer advocate and ratebeer and general beer geekery do not well prepare one for non-hedonistic blind judging which is entirely different.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #104
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhavoc View Post
when is that actual judging? (is that posted somewhere?) Ive never put in for NHC before, and Ive seen how other comps are at getting score sheets back (weeks)... are the first round score sheets returned pretty fast?
The judging varies by region and each region is listed as a competition in both the AHA and BJCP lists of sanctioned competitions. They are all in April.

The dates listed will be the dates that the regions planned to judge. In many cases, some flights will be judged before and some after those dates as the number of judges committed to the primary judging times will be insufficient.

I believe the results for all regions will be released a the same time (so that some people don't have more time to rebrew than others). Score sheets getting mailed back relies on someone enveloping and mailing them, but its probably going to be a week or two.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #105
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What I'm curious about is how many folks submitted beers made from recipes here. How many Haus Pale Ales and SWMBO Slayers and whatnot are in NHC.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #106
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't think I ever made anyone's recipe here. I'd like to but I have a bazillion other things I want to brew too.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #107
adx

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I submitted three: my milk stout that won BOS in the HBT contest, a whiskey barrel porter aged in a barrel from HBT, and an Amber recipe of my own. We'll see how it goes. I didn't realize entries were due last week and made quick decision on Sunday night of what to enter.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #108
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by adx View Post
. . . my milk stout that won BOS in the HBT contest.
Gotta wonder how many HBT'ers just let out a sigh of disappointment.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #109
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I was excited about entering, so I signed up for an AHA membership at the very end of Feb. I got an e-mail the next day saying "membership materials shipped." Unfortunately, they meant "membership materials will ship a in a month." I could've paid a little extra and entered as a non-member, but I held out hope that I'd have my number in time. Now it's too late. I would've entered my stout and rye IPA two categories each. There's always next year. I'm looking forward to my first issue of Zymurgy.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #110
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I didn't enter this year. I just don't have the enthusiam for competition any more. I'm excited about the conference, though, and I'm all registered for that.

Quick Reply