New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Next beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Homercidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Default Next beer?

Sorry to bother you guys with this kind of question, but I'm at a loss as to what to brew next. I have some IPA remaining on tap, and I just added a new keg of Wit. A barleywine is in secondary, but is at least 6 months to a year away.

I'm getting the itch and need to get some suggestions!

So far I'm thinking about brewing something lighter that my friends might enjoy more.

Kolsch?
Cream Ale?

I tried a Kolsch the other day and thought it was great. Have not had a Cream Ale yet. What am I not thinking of?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what about a maibock if you have lagering ability?

I'm brewing a california common as soon as the ingredients come in from AHS (you hear that Forrest?! SEND ME MY STUFF!!!!) since it is approachable by my bmc friends but also very flavorful

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do a Saison.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cream Ale would be nice. Maybe something off the wall like a smoked porter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Homercidal

Recipes 

I don't really have lagering ability (other than place hear a window). I've considered getting set up, but TBH, I just enjoy ales more. California common? I might need good descriptions to know exactly what some of these are.

Saison? Isn't that some sort of Belgian farmhouse ale? I've been tempted to try, but the ones I've seen have been big bottles and expensive. I ended up buying something else.

What are they like? Sorry to sound like a newb, but there's a whole lot of beers in the world, and I haven't gotten around to drinking them all yet.

I'm just trying to come up with something that my father-in-law and friend will want to drink when they come over, or I can send a case to them. They both drink Labatt's. although I think they could branch out a bit from there. FIL likes some other things, like Oberon sometimes. Friend said my Wit was ok, but his wife didn't care for the additives.

So something lighter, but maybe different enough to help them get started branching out a bit more. I'm just dead set on giving my beer away!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Saison tastes like saison. Sorry, you just need to break down and spend the $10 to buy a 750ml and give it a try. The closest thing to a boring saison is the funkiest Wit you have ever had. Then take the funk and multiply by 5 or 6 and you have saison. Crazy earth shattering spicy phenolic fruity funky. Saisons are just frickin' cool.

Quote:

Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Homercidal

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Saison tastes like saison. Sorry, you just need to break down and spend the $10 to buy a 750ml and give it a try. The closest thing to a boring saison is the funkiest Wit you have ever had. Then take the funk and multiply by 5 or 6 and you have saison. Crazy earth shattering spicy phenolic fruity funky. Saisons are just frickin' cool.
Ok, is it tart? I'm not into that. I was afraid it was a sour style. If it's like a crazy Wit, then I'm going to go for it. Take my kid to dance tonight and grab a bottle. I think that sounds good! (except I doubt my friends would like it).

But, now that I know what it is, I can maybe offer a sample of store-bought to my friends and see what they think. I can certainly add this to my list of must-brews! <-- banana sybolizes fruity saison flavors...

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

A light beer drinker friend of mine really enjoys when I brew up a mild. I tend to go small with multiple dark malts to create a little complexity but the low IBU and lack of hop flavor make it approachable by the average beer drinker. I just brewed a bitter and am excited to try it, this might also be a good option.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

it's not sour, it's FUNKY!

i would vote that or cream ale if you haven't tried one.

the cream ale was originally made for ale brewers to compete with lager brewers. it's a nice light crisp clean ale. they use corn to lighten the body and the cream ale yeast blend (WLP080) will make it very lager like at lower temps (around 60°F)

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Ok, is it tart? I'm not into that. I was afraid it was a sour style. If it's like a crazy Wit, then I'm going to go for it. Take my kid to dance tonight and grab a bottle. I think that sounds good! (except I doubt my friends would like it).

But, now that I know what it is, I can maybe offer a sample of store-bought to my friends and see what they think. I can certainly add this to my list of must-brews! <-- banana sybolizes fruity saison flavors...
I have had saisons that were tart and others that weren't, similar to wits. My Wit is fairly tart, I have had others that aren't nearly as tart. The commercial ones I have tried are only slightly tart and sour, Hennepin I think has a slight brett character to it and the Dupont has a similar bite to a dry champagne.

Quote:

Quick Reply