Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Newest batch tastes cidery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
ChessRockwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Yes, you're wrong. I am currently sipping on an IPA that is 16% ABV. Nearly half of its fermentables are from simple sugar, and it is not in the least bit cidery. Probably half of my beers have sugar in them, and the only occasion that I experienced that was when I forgot to oxygenate. So yes, they are wrong.
Just because you haven't had it happen doesn't mean everybody else is wrong and it can't...
Ok so your 16%er with half fermentables from sugar doesn't taste cidery? Of course not, you've got plenty of malt to balance it out. Go make a 4% beer with half the fermentables from simple sugar and it'll taste pretty cidery (depending on other factors of course). I've done it before, and it is possible for too much sugar to make a beer cidery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell

Just because you haven't had it happen doesn't mean everybody else is wrong and it can't...
Ok so your 16%er with half fermentables from sugar doesn't taste cidery? Of course not, you've got plenty of malt to balance it out. Go make a 4% beer with half the fermentables from simple sugar and it'll taste pretty cidery (depending on other factors of course). I've done it before, and it is possible for too much sugar to make a beer cidery.
Yeah. I think you're exactly right. At first I thought it may have been a sanitation issue, but I always pay special attention to cleaning and sanitizing. In looking back through some posts, my problem sounds like it's a lot like what other people have experience when adding too much sugar. My efficiency was low when brewing my belgian blonde (BIAB). I think the sugar that I added was a higher percentage of the fermentables then the recipe called for. Do you guys think this will be something that will fade over time?

Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
kwingert
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Probably not. I wouldn't dump it. Just let it set and see what happens.

Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy-Franklin

Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
It has tasted like this since I've been sampling it. Could it taste cidery if it wasn't fully fermented?
No it would taste sweet, not as sweet as original wort but on the sweet side.

My honest guess is it got contaminated somewhere along the line, probably during fermentation.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade

No it would taste sweet, not as sweet as original wort but on the sweet side.

My honest guess is it got contaminated somewhere along the line, probably during fermentation.
It does taste very sweet, hence the apple cider taste.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I brewed a Leffe clone about 2 months ago and I kegged it 3 weeks ago. It tastes very cidery and thin and that hasn't changed since I've been tasting it. If I bottle the beer, is this something that may change over time? I hate to dump it but I don't want to put the time and energy into bottling if it's just going to stay the same. Has anyone had a cidery taste dissipate over time? Is this an infection?
Most cidery flavors, regardless of cause, are more likely to worsen over time, not improve.

Back in the days before I understood the importance fermentation temperature control, I ended up with a few really cidery beers, especially during the summer months here in West Texas. One cidery beer I bottled and lagered for six months in hopes that the off-flavor would go away, but I got just the opposite result. As the hops fell off over time and the malt characters mellowed, the cidery flavors actually became more pronounced. I dumped the whole batch.
On Draft: Amarillo Brillo Honey Blonde Ale
On Draft: Cherry Christmas Session Ale

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #17
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
It does taste very sweet, hence the apple cider taste.
That is the same as a wine going to vinegar, not gonna come back.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
wow.. really? a lot of sugar doesn't make beer taste cidery? so i'm wrong, along with charlie papazian, jamil zainasheff, john palmer...
Define "a lot"....1 lb. certainly isn't "a lot". If they all said that (which I don't think they did), then they're all wrong. And if it's true, then most Belgian breweries make cidery beer. And my taste buds must be off because beers I make using up to 30% sugar don't taste cidery.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Define "a lot"....1 lb. certainly isn't "a lot". If they all said that (which I don't think they did), then they're all wrong. And if it's true, then most Belgian breweries make cidery beer. And my taste buds must be off because beers I make using up to 30% sugar don't taste cidery.
I think you have to keep in mind the malt to simple sugar ratio. My 1lb of brown sugar was probably more noticeable (cidery) because of my lower than expected efficiency.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The cider tastes in one of my latest beers seemed to be a combination of sugar (~1.5 lb in a cream ale) and high fermentation temperatures. I know that people have used sugar successfully, and I might try it again. But not until I can keep the carboy cool. It's a shame because this beer would have otherwise been excellent. The cidery taste has mellowed out a bit. To learn my lesson, I'm drinking the whole thing by myself.

Quick Reply